My Snorkeling Friend

Ever heard of a humuhumunukunukuapua’a? Search it up, you’ve probably seen it before. Reef triggerfish are an icon of Hawaii. You can see them scoot along the corals amongst a mirage of other fascinating fish.

Parrotfish, pufferfish, angelfish, yellow tang, swordfish, eels, and rays are only some of the diverse sea life in Hawaii. There are lots of ways to see these fish: aquariums, scuba diving, boat tours; but the best of them all is snorkeling.

On your next trip to Hawaii, don’t miss out on snorkeling. Hawaii receives a constant slew of tourists, all on different budgets, looking to make the most of their vacation. There is a lot to enjoy above the water, but many tourists miss out on what’s underneath. 

Admittedly, snorkeling can be expensive. Hired guides cost an average of $40 to $200 for experiences ranging from one to four hours. You may have to buy or rent gear, which will be upwards of $20 for a low quality set. Even if you find a deal, the cost only multiplies over each day and group member. Despite the cost, however, sticking with a tour guide can save your life. Like any outdoor adventure, there is risk. After all, nature doesn’t conform to tourism.

The water is dangerous, so guides recommend places easy to enter and exit the water. Sandy beaches, protected coves, or the rare perfect rock formation like Two Step (on the Big Island) are tourist hotspots. The number one goal of all these launches is to avoid the surf.

If you want to snorkel without a guide, I’d still recommend talking to a guide for information about local hotspots that are easy to enter and exit. They’ll also have tips about weather, wildlife, surf, and currents. Whether you snorkel with or without a guide, safety is key while you enjoy the beautiful life under the sea.

Golden Moray Eel peeking out from the reef.