FeatureSlider

Skating club breaks stereotypes

Skateboarding has been known as the sport of misfits since its inception. It is truly accessible to everyone and fosters community and healthy competition between people from all walks of life. Skateboarding is a creative outlet for many people that only they have control over.

The CVHS Skateboarding club is new to our campus and includes around 30 members. Meeting in room 101 on Wednesdays at lunch, the club has both beginners, intermediate, and advanced skaters. Meetings are very casual, the members hang out at lunch and talk about skateboarding and skate culture. 

The real meetings happen after school at the Adobe Skatepark where many of them learned to skate. There exists a very strong community of skaters who visit the park regularly and all know each other and push each other to progress further. 

Club secretary Jaime Burnabee plans to implement more club events and competitions to push some of the younger members to progress. He wants more people to join the club and gain the confidence to skate. 

“I hope to organize competitions; like the best skate tricks in the club,” said Burnabee. His main goal as someone who’s been skating for years is to pass on his love for skating to younger members through club meetings and events. The club is very new and hasn’t been fully figured out yet but the leadership is working hard to turn it into the kind of club they want.

“I like whenever I land a new trick it’s the best feeling. I don’t think that there’s a way to describe how it feels in words but it’s a big confidence booster for me,” said Burnabee on why he skates. That indescribable feeling is what he wants to pass on to more people.

The Skateboarding Club is filled with passionate members just like Burnabee who hope to create an exciting future for this club and its members.