SliderSports

Boys varsity tennis team wins big against Mount Eden

After a rocky start to the season, the boys varsity tennis team dominated Mount Eden with a 3-0 victory on April 11.

This was the smallest match-up of the season so far, with only four singles matches being planned. At the last second, Mount Eden forfeited its fourth singles due to a missing student, so only three matches were played. 

“My strategy is to just focus on hitting consistently, rather than as powerful as I can, trying to keep the ball in and also not letting my opponent get to my head. I also wanted to make sure to serve with enough power and control to get my points as soon as possible,” said Liam Hogan when asked about his strategy for his match.

Hogan won both of his sets, at 6-4 and 6-3. Samit Rath at second singles almost won every single game, winning at 6-1 and 6-1. Finally, Devin Shay won the third singles match 6-0 and 6-4 respectively. This was the team’s biggest win so far besides the Trojans’ game with San Leandro on March 26.

“Playing against Mt. Eden was a good experience and I think I did pretty well. It felt great to play singles matches as a doubles player and I’ve learned a lot from doubles and put it into my strategy for today,” said Rath.

The whole team was excited and many are now anticipating who will be chosen to go compete in WACC (West Alameda County Conference Tournament) where there will only be two singles and two doubles matches taking place on April 26, going into April 27 at Chabot College.

“These boys give 110% of their effort at every practice and match. Their record is 4-4 right now which is very impressive following their record last year of 2-9. They trust my advice and implement the strategies I teach them at practice so I am very excited for the last two weeks of our season as we head into WACC championships,” stated CVHS coach Ebony Qualls.