Uncategorized

Girls Soccer Wins 2-0 to Place First in WACC

On Friday night the girls varsity soccer team had their final league game of the season on senior night against Alameda winning 2-0. Stakes were high as if the Trojans win their game and Piedmont loses theirs Castro Valley will be first in the league.

Before the game started the festivities kicked off with the senior walkthroughs. Seniors walked out of the Trojan helmet with their families and paraded past the team. 

The game started as the senior took the field with both teams fighting hard to control the ball. It would go back and forth with both teams having possession of the ball before the other team took control.

Late in the first half, the Trojans earned a corner kick downfield which gave them a good opportunity to score. The ball was played from the corner into the middle where players fought to get close. 

The ball made its way right past the Trojans when an Alameda player tried to kick it out. The ball moved out toward half where it was controlled by Hannah Sommerhalter. She then took a long shot from outside the box, soaring past the goalie and into the back of the net.

The first half came and went with the Trojans up 1-0. The teams regrouped at half looking for a second push. 

During the second half, the Trojans kept the ball with many shot attempts downfield. Alameda fought back trying desperately to get some shots themselves but was completely pushed back by the Trojan’s defense. 

Then halfway through the second half, the Trojans pushed downfield getting past the defenders. Kiana Ayllon ran past defenders with the ball for a one-on-one. Right before running out of bounds, she put a shot on goal which flew past the goalie to put the Trojans up 2-0.

Now 2 scores up the Trojans finished out the game with no defensive breakdowns. With the win of 2-0, the Trojans know only need to wait to find out if Piedmont will win. 

You could feel the anxiety as the team waited in a huddle after the game watching the livestream. Then about 20 minutes after the game cheers rang out as Piedmont tied their game leaving the Trojans first in WACC. 

“We played well and it was a good way to finish the season for the seniors,” said captain Kiana Ayllon. The team is now looking forward to the NCS playoff season hoping to win the championship.