SliderSports

CVHS badminton breaks two year streak of ties

April 18 was the big game, the Alameda rematch. Having previously won 11 out of 11 games around the county, the Castro Valley badminton team had narrowly beat Alameda 8-7. The Trojans broke the two-year streak of ties they had against their main competitor.

Ultimately Castro Valley won 11-4 with a strong win to break the streak. The most impressive display was Josh Wong who won 21-6 and 21-8 against Daniel Chin, Alameda’s strongest player. Wong didn’t have much to say, but his win got Castro Valley over the edge, winning the eighth game, securing the victory.

The team’s strongest win was Cameron Seah and Russel Zhao who won 21-3 and 21-8 against Egan Lau and Farber Moody-LaLonde. “We were sandbagged and my parents were watching,” said Seah afterwards. Apparently Alameda had altered player positions since the last tournament.

Castro Valley’s most intense game was Evan Lau and Kevin Qin versus Ardon Nguyen and Japheth Chen. Their game heightened the energy in the main gym, and friends cheered “GO!” with every score. The score was 21-12, 22-24, and 21-10. Lau and Qin took back the game with a strong win, stamping out any comeback from Alameda.

Despite this being the big game against their main competitor, the Trojans hasn’t put their foot on the brake. There are three more tournaments to play through locally before they participate in the Western Alameda County Conference competition, where if they win they can go to state championships. Will Castro Valley keep up its big streak, and make it there? Keep following and cheering on this year’s amazing team.