SliderSports

Boys race to victory at Castro Valley Relays

With unwavering persistence, the Trojans emerged victorious in the Castro Valley Relays on March 9 as individuals breezed through various events. With the girls varsity track and field team triumphing 154.5-88 against runner-up Piedmont and the boys varsity track and field team slamming in 135-53 with runner-up El Cerrito, each Trojan played a part in an exceptional victory.

From hardcore sprints and tiringly-paced runs to new records being marked with leaps into sand, propelling gracefully through the air with poles, and overcoming hurdles and obstacles along with the handoff of batons, Trojans gave their all despite extreme exhaustion.

“I’m really tired, but I got the time I was shooting for,” senior Andrew Mitsuyoshi stated, between gulps of breath. “It’s great to have a meet at home ‘cause we have a lot of people here cheering.”

Nonetheless, the Castro Valley Relays being a home meet made it a lot more accessible and convenient for CVHS students to come cheer on friends, family, or teammates.

Fortunately, participants and spectators were even graced with rays of warm, gentle sunshine as the weather remained calm throughout the meet with no rainfall or violent winds.

“I think it’s a pretty good day out here,” sophomore Julian Talauta commented after his 4×800 distance medley relay. “I think everyone’s doing a great job.”

Although not victorious, opposing schools held varying personal records and displayed good sportsmanship, praising the Trojans’ efforts as each team motivated one another to do their best and improve.

“The Castro Valley runners were great,” San Leandro varsity athlete An Nguyen added. “It was a really fun meet and they motivated me to PR [personal record].”

The varsity Trojans continue to relish their victory following the Castro Valley Relays home meet. Amidst the deafeningly loud roars of cheering on competitors, shrieks of victory, and celebration, each contender deliberately gave their absolute contribution to a lively meet.