SliderSports

Girls varsity tennis dominates against Mt Eden

The girls varsity tennis team defeated Mt. Eden High School on Oct. 3, 7-0. Winning every game of the season so far, many of the players expressed their thoughts.

“I’m looking forward to challenge matches, because I’m in JV,” said junior Hazel Chen. 

When asked how the game went, the recurring topic of the hot weather resurfaced.

“It was really hot so I think that semi-affected [the game],” said senior captain Nicole Dong. “I am still recovering from Hoco, and I gotta say my strokes weren’t their finest, but that’s okay because the mental game is more important. When you’re down significantly, like multiple games, it’s hard to keep trying to fight when you feel like you’re already going to lose; but once again, it’s important, and I’ve had some really good comebacks,” she said.

“It was really sunny, which really affects my serves,” agreed junior Laina Zhang. “So the sun reflecting off the court’s surface is really bothersome to me serving, but it wasn’t that bad because we did win significantly more games than the other team,” she said.

Others also expressed what challenges they’ve come across.

“Some of the ways the other teams are taught are varied from ours,” said freshman Alayna Sershen. “We have to from time to time stop at the net and talk about the rules to discuss the differences that we’ve been taught.”

Overall, many of the players echoed fond sentiments of the team. “I like the tennis community aspect,” said Dong. “I really like the people I’ve met in tennis, highly recommend.”

“I’m looking forward to just playing more matches and not going to class,” joked Zhang. “And be able to play more with my teammates because I think that’s the highlight of being on the team.”

The next home game has Castro Valley facing Piedmont on Oct. 18.

“Join tennis,” said Sershen. “We only have 42 people!”