SliderSports

CVHS cheer team returns to stunting

The CVHS cheer team has finally returned to stunting three years after being halted by the pandemic. 

When COVID-19 hit, the cheer team had to stop stunting for safety reasons. However, returning to stunting was not as easy. There were many things that needed to happen, such as certifications, training, and most of all, administrative approval. 

“In order to create the opportunity for students to participate in stunting, we had to ensure that coaches were all certified and facilities were able to safely allow for the activities with mats in place,” said Athletic Director Kathleen Stacy. 

After figuring out all the quirks, the cheer team is happy to finally be able to stunt once again, and to have the chance to show off one of the most dangerous aspects of cheer. 

“I am very excited that we are finally able to stunt again because it allows for more opportunities for the team to show our skills and also stunting is a lot of fun,” said varsity cheer captain, senior Payton Pacheco.

Senior Jason Galvan agreed: “I think it’s going to give people more opportunities and memories about high school cheer.”

While the team is still working on getting back into stunting, they are already showing some of their moves during the football games, at halftime and occasionally on the sideline. The cheerleaders are looking forward to showing off their new stunts.

“I’m excited for them!” said Spirit Squad coach Janet Taddie.