SliderSports

Trojans triumph with grand slam

After a difficult season with a mere 20% win percentage, the boys varsity baseball team desperately needed a triumph. On Thursday, April 14, on a damp field under light showers, it seemed as if the Trojans’ slump would continue against the San Leandro Pirates. 

A fielding error in the first inning placed the Trojans at an early deficit, at 1-0. For the next hour, the game remained stagnant as both teams failed to score. Strong pitching from junior AJ Guidino-Gonzales held the Pirates back, but despite numerous hits and players on base, Castro Valley struggled to bring runners home. 

In the bottom of the sixth, the Trojans had the bases loaded with no outs. Senior Jacob Choy made a hit to tie the game 1-1. Onlooking parents paced with anticipation, as a lead was within the team’s fingertips. Then, junior Matthew Cormier stepped up to the plate.

Like his team, Cormier was in an offensive slump. His previous 18 at-bats were unfruitful; he had not made a hit since the Trojans’ second game. Hoping to redeem himself, Cormier assumed a batting position and waited for the pitch.

Metal hit leather as bat hit ball. Everyone’s heads craned upwards into the sprinkling rain as the baseball soared: towards leftfield, past the metal fence, and onto the brown portables for a grand slam.

As four Trojans ran across home plate, the bench erupted and a celebratory siren blared across the loudspeaker. The crowd cheered; the players jumped out of joy, congratulating Cormier. This was the breakthrough that both he and the team had needed. 

“It felt great,” expressed Cormier. “I have not been performing well or helping the team much this year, so it was great how I could finally impact the team.”

Castro Valley’s offense did not die, as junior Benn Smith had a run batted in. The Trojans closed out the game with ease, ending with a score of 6-1. They advanced to a record of three wins and eight losses, gaining their first league win. The team hopes to build upon the momentum gained on Thursday as they play seven more games. 

3 thoughts on “Trojans triumph with grand slam

• Best moment of the year so far for us. It was definitely a needed boost of energy that hopefully we can carry throughout the rest of the year. Even though we don’t win a lot of games, it is important to keep spirits up and work through everything. Only focus on things you can control. Everything else will eventually fall into place.

• Tharen Hilliard

It is so nice to see the Castro Valley baseball team get a win. This is such a nice heartfelt story and I think it is amazing that Mathew hit a grand slam.

• I cannot imagine the relief of the grand slam. The comeback to win the game is very satisfying to watch, and it will most likely be an event that the hitter will not forget for a long time. Although the team has a losing record, if they continue to knock it outta the park, the team will do great!