HighlightsOpinion

Downside of driving with parents

After getting my permit in late December, I was really excited to finally start driving. While I was vaguely nervous, I was reassured that I wouldn’t be alone. At first, I understood why my parents were extremely cautious; I had little experience driving and they were scared that even a little mistake could be catastrophic. Additionally, I was having trouble staying in the middle of my lane and I needed a constant reminder so that I wouldn’t accidentally drift into the lane next to me. After a while though, I started to get annoyed with the constant reminders. 

The worst part about driving with my mom is that she tells me what to do, even when I was already planning on doing it. It’s like she thinks I can’t see the glaring red stoplight and I’m going to speed right through it. Every time there’s a stop sign or a stop light coming up, she begins screeching at me to slow down, even if I was already going to. 

If that isn’t stressing me out enough, she likes to grip onto the car door handle, as if her life depends on it, every single time I make a turn. I don’t really get nervous while driving, but the second-hand nerves radiating off of my mother are enough to make me think that every turn I make is going to end catastrophically. 

But wait, it gets worse. I have only driven on the highway a few times, so I’m still not super comfortable with it. However, I don’t notice that I’m nervous until my mom makes a point to ask me multiple times. From the minute I get on, she grabs onto the handle, which I’m surprised hasn’t broken off yet, and repeatedly makes a point of asking, “Are you nervous?” Of course I am, but once she asks, I’m hyper-aware of how tightly I’m gripping the steering wheel and clenching my jaw. 

Driving with my mom is bad, but driving with my dad is just as bad, maybe worse. When I first got my permit, my dad would be perched over me ready to grab the steering wheel at any moment in case I made a mistake. Every time I was even slightly too far to the right of my lane, he would grab on and swerve back to the middle for me. I do have to admit, I did tell him that he could grab the wheel if he needed to, but I just expected him to stop me from changing lanes when I missed a car in my blind spot. 

A fact about my dad is that he likes to drive fast, which I understand better now that I drive too. I also like to drive pretty quickly, which can be a problem, but I like to think that I know when I am going too fast or out of control. My dad thinks that I am not able to control my car and is constantly yelling at me to slow down. This really irks me because I am never yelling at him to slow down when he drives. 

Overall, driving with my parents can tend to be a nightmare, but I am getting better at ignoring them and or just going with what they want. However, I am still glad to be able to drive and I know that they just want me to be safe. 

14 thoughts on “Downside of driving with parents

• Omar Alfawadeleh

Driving with parents can be annoying sometimes but we have to know that they probably have been driving before we were even born. They might sometimes worry too much but that’s because they care for us and want us to be safe.

• Driving with my parents is a pain and with my dad’s instructions its worse. He will tell me to make a turn 1 sec before i miss! And my mom just grips the handle as well because 5mph over the limit is sooo much.So ya its difficult but you get used to it.

• Amber Huizar

I totally understand how you feel. My parents were the same way when I first started driving but with lots of practice they became munch more confident in my driving skills. They trust that I will stay safe on the road. Now that I have my license they let me drive around as much as I want as long as I’m paying for gas and being cautious.

• When I first started driving, my parents were very nervous for me to be behind the wheel. Now, my parents feel comfortable sleeping in the car.

• I can relate because when I started driving my mom and dad were nervous but over time they started to trust me more and more

• Nathan Yee

When i first started driving i was also very very nervous. But as i continued to drive more my parents started to trust me and get more comfortable with me driving. I think that i’m a pretty good licensed driver today.

• When I first started driving, my parents made me even more anxious than I already was. In fact, my dad yelled at me because I didn’t know how to start a car. I understand my parents’ point of view, but sometimes they need to recognize mine as well.

• Anonymous

This is a relatable article. Driving with my mom is an interesting experience i only want to do once.

• Driving with parents is difficult because sometimes they overreact.

• Driving with parents can be fun at times but i just like to fall asleep

• Andrew Hui

Talk to me about it lol. My mother holds the handle with both hands when I drive. My dad, on the other hand, naps.

• Rachel Raskin

Driving with parents is definitely very stressful and I share some of the same experiences with my mom. She especially likes to grab the handle even if I am going at or a bit below the speed limit. I definitely do agree that these things make new drivers even more nervous than they already are, especially when the parents keep constantly making comments on every single little thing on the road.

• I can relate to this so much especially when I had my permit. My parents would pretty much scream at any slight inconvenience or obstacle that I had already seen, which usually makes me press the brakes out of reaction and create a bigger hazard than the slight inconvenience they had yelled at me for. Also, when giving directions, they wouldn’t give it until the last second and seemed to get angry or annoyed if I ever told them what I was doing. After getting my license, I felt so free from having my parents constantly yelling at me when there was a “close call” that wasn’t close at all and that I had predicted already.

• Driving with parents is very frustrating at times. Most of the time mine are not patient with me. Sometimes they will even yell at me for a small mistake. I’m fine with corrections but there’s no need to yell because then I might get too nervous. That’s why I like the driving school training. They have taught me so much and they are some of the most patient people.