No strikes, only streaks

Brian Tognolini prepares to hit during an intense game. Photo by Jes Smith
Brian Tognolini prepares to hit during an intense game.
Photo by Jes Smith

The CVHS varsity baseball team has reeled off seven straight wins as of Friday, April 17, to hike the Trojans’ season record to 12-4.

The streak began on March 27 with a convincing 6-3 win over their bitter rivals: the Bishop O’Dowd Dragons of Oakland. Winning pitcher Ryan Rosellini went the distance with a gutty 120-pitch effort. Led by Joaquin Soto’s two-run homer, Christian Merriwether’s four hits, plus a potent offense that banged out 13 hits, the Trojans avenged an earlier 6-0 loss to the Dragons.

The Trojans’ pitching staff, led by lefty ace Joey Dimitratos, Nick Simsek, Rosellini, Mikey Dobbins and Matt Barraza, has posted eight shout outs in 12 victories. The Trojans have provided a balanced combination of both hitting and steady defensive play, which shows it has been a total “team effort” with everyone contributing. The hitting attack is led by outfielders Joe Welliver, Jake Petersen, Merriwether, Robbie Brue, catcher Justin Cabral, first baseman Brian Tognolini and designated hitter Simsek. The heavy, rock solid defense is led by infielders London Penland, Josh Warren, Martin Baez, Justin Seever, Nick Liever, Rosellini, David Taylor, Cody Sandall, Soto and Jarod Ormsby.

The Trojans will face the Berkeley Yellow Jackets in a tough two-game series this week, followed with games against Piedmont and Mt. Eden. Their biggest test is the last four games of the regular season with Arroyo and Alameda High which will determine seedings going into the playoffs.