OpinionSlider

How Social Media Affected Me

Social media has this weird way of sucking you in. You start spending way too much time and energy on these platforms, and before you know it, you’re hooked; the more time you spend engaging in social media, the deeper the hook sinks in.

All you want is some validation, so you keep posting about your life. The gratification that the likes and comments give you are better than anything. Here’s the thing, though: all those people scrolling through your posts end up feeling like their lives are lesser in comparison, which can make them feel isolated and depressed.

It’s true that social media can help people in making connections or finding shared interests with others, and this fact shouldn’t be dismissed. However, the flipside is that it can also promote unrealistic views of others’ lives, contributing to feelings of exclusion or inadequacy, especially among impressionable teens.

These negative effects extend beyond age, as they can affect both children and adults. Social media poses a severe threat to mental health, not merely because of external expectations but also due to the content that can be found online, which ranges from photoshopped pictures of celebrities to disturbingly graphic materials.

I, too, fell victim to the influence of social media. I watched my classmates succumb to similar pressures, and I soon followed, leading to the deterioration of my mental health. Witnessing others’ lives mirror those that I saw online, I desperately tried to conform to their standards in order to feel accepted, continuing the pattern.

I pressed on Instagram, watching as the logo loaded onto my screen. I tapped on the stories and saw seemingly endless photos of people going out, having the time of their lives. I sat there, on my bed, scrolling through those images, feeling a pang of jealousy. It seemed like everyone else was living their best life while I was stuck in my room.

Looking back at that moment, I knew I needed to reconsider my relationship with social media. I realized that my mental health was suffering as a result of seeking validation and conforming to unrealistic standards. It was time to break free from the cycle and focus on real connections and personal growth, rather than the superficial world of likes and comments.

I slowly cut down on my social media use, opting for more meaningful interactions with friends and family. It wasn’t easy, and I had to fight the urge to constantly check my notifications. However, as time went on, I started to feel happier and less anxious about needing virtual acceptance to define my self-worth.

2 thoughts on “How Social Media Affected Me

• I agree with u 100%, social media is ruining our furture generations. I think we should restrict only 1 hour everyday of phone time.

• Demetrius Kuang

I agree, social media is incredibly addicting. I think the best way to use it is in moderation, and not to worry about things like FOMO. It is unfortunate how these sorts of apps are designed to be incredibly addictive.