CampusNewsSlider

New health center on the horizon

After several months of planning and construction, CVHS will soon open the Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center.

Tiburcio Vasquez, named after an advocate of the Bay Area, has already been present in other high schools such as Hayward, Tennyson, and James Logan, meant for students to have access to a health clinic without having to leave campus.

“I’m excited for students to have access to everything they need on campus so they don’t need to leave to get it,” said Marian Meadows, the school district’s behavioral health coordinator. 

The health center will serve as a pediatric health clinic, with a focus towards families. The center will offer treatment for injuries and illnesses such as diabetes and the flu, as well as physicals for student athletes. Eventually they would like to add dental services.

Students will also have access to crucial reproductive health services, such as condoms, pregnancy tests, and Plan B.

Meadows is aware that there may be pushback, but is optimistic about the operation. “I can imagine [the parents] feeling like they have a right to know about it. The hope is that they’re already in conversation about this with their kids. And I’ll say this, that the health classes are already teaching all of that, and it’s required by law.”

Students visiting the health center also won’t be required to pay a copay for each visit. If students already have health insurance, then the health clinic will bill the insurance without the consent of parents, provided they sign a permission slip. For students without insurance, the clinic will assist in signing students up for insurance.

“A young person under the age of 18 seeking medical support has rights,” said health teacher Sue Anderson. “They have rights to consent to their own care.”

Everyone in the community will have access to the health center; however, only students and staff will be able to access the center during school hours. After school, the community will be able to enter, though they will only be allowed in a certain section of the building, with a students-only section kept away.

Construction of the health center is set to be complete by the end of September, with the grand opening set for the beginning of October.

“When we give those opportunities for literacy and wellness, it’s a win-win-win for all. It’s a very long term gain for the whole community,” said Anderson.