EditorialsOpinionSlider

Mask and Vaccine Mandates: Needed for safety

Despite the Delta variant causing a fourth COVID-19 spike, schools are back in session with one caveat: masks are mandatory at all times on campus regardless of vaccination status. This comes after a series of mandates from Governor Gavin Newsom, which also requires all school staff to be fully vaccinated or get tested weekly. 

These mandates have been extremely controversial among some students, parents, and staff. However, we at The Olympian feel safer at school with these new restrictions; and we fully support mask and vaccine mandates to ensure both the safety of our school and community as a whole.

Although masks are uncomfortable and make hearing others more difficult, they are essential in stopping the spread of Covid. Especially with the more aggressive Delta variant, all students and staff should wear masks on campus to protect not only themselves, but others as well. Some students may live with those who are at higher risk, and may accidentally bring home the virus to their families. A simple task like wearing a mask can save lives and give students and staff a sense of security. And hey, there are also some cool mask designs!

As staff may see more than 150 students on a daily basis, it is important that staff get vaccinated. An infected staff member could expose hundreds of students to the virus. The vaccine will add a layer of protection for staff members and also protect students and anyone they contact. 

Although the vaccine does not guarantee full immunity to Covid, it has been proven to reduce severe cases and slow the spread of the virus. Most serious cases today are among the unvaccinated. We understand that many staff members may have personal or religious objections to the vaccine, however daily testing can serve as an alternative to ensure the safety of our campus. By having teachers vaccinated, we can inspire the rest of the community to get vaccinated as well.

Now that the Pfzier vaccine gained full approval from the FDA, The Olympian would like to see a vaccine mandate for students as well. Many schools, such as Culver City Unified and the CSU/UC systems, have already mandated students to get the Covid-19 vaccine in order to attend live classes. Other types of vaccines, such as chicken pox and measles, are already required to attend schools; and the Covid vaccine should be added to that list. 

The vaccine has been proven safe, with over 190 million people in the U.S. having received a dose of the vaccine with little to no side effects. A vaccine mandate can slow the spread among students, and protect those under the age of 12 who cannot be vaccinated. Many parents may be upset over a student vaccine mandate. However we feel one would be necessary to keep our schools safe.

The Olympian supports these measures for the health and safety of the school community. After 18 months of online schooling, we’re ready to come back in person. However, we believe that proper safety measures be taken to ease students, staff and parents anxieties. Together, we can do our part in helping our community.

2 thoughts on “Mask and Vaccine Mandates: Needed for safety

• Sofie O

I agree that, getting the vaccine and wearing a mask should not be a matter of what side of the political spectrum you are on, it should be about protecting yourself and the people around you. I think that it is great to have people vaccinated, as an effort to slow down the spread, especially since we are so close together for 8 hours a day

• Zachary Simonton

The vaccine is NOT about politics, and I think that people should be vaccinated.
    Some people take Ivermectin, Hand Sanitizer, or even Bleach instead of the vaccine. I think that WE NEED TO DO A WAY BETTER JOB ABOUT EDUCATING CHILDREN ABOUT VACCINES, and we should NOT have to go to the level of people taking Ivermectin to treat COVID-19. Seriously, GET VACCINATED if you want to be able to SAFELY return to normal.