HighlightsOpinion

Vote no on confirming Amy Barrett as new Supreme Court justice

The tragic death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg has left an open spot for a new Supreme Court Justice. President Trump has nominated Amy Coney Barrett to replace Ginsburg. One of the reasons why he has nominated her is because she is a woman. However, just because she is a woman it doesn’t mean she will support equal rights for women. 

For example, Clarence Thomas replaced Black Justice Thurgood Marshall. Thurgood Marshall was a prominent civil rights activist but Thomas, also a Black man, is not a civil rights advocate. Amy Coney Barrett is not a known feminist, and has made decisions that hurt women’s rights. 

Barrett believes in a “strict” interpretation of the Constitution, a method she has learned from her mentor, the late Justice Antonin Scalia. A strict interpretation of the Constitution limits her decisions. The Constitution does not address many current issues, a major problem of a strict interpretation. Since so much is missing from the Constitution, it causes Barrett to have to consider other documents written in the 1700s in order to make her decisions, and many of those writings are extremely racist and sexist. Instead of a strict interpretation of the Constitution, Barrett should consider its spirit when making decisions having to do with equity and fairness.

Barrett is known to be anti-choice and could help overturn Roe v. Wade in the courthouse. Roe v. Wade made abortion legal nationwide in 1973. With Barrett on the court there would be six Republican appointments out of the nine justices, which is enough to overturn Roe vs. Wade. With Barrett on the court, Republicans would be able to demolish all the work Ginsburg has done. Republicans could even make gay marriage illegal and overturn a number of other important laws such as the Affordable Care Act. 

“I do not support Barrett. Because as a woman, it’s scary to think that if I needed the option one day in the future, it wouldn’t be available and I would have to raise a child even if I wasn’t ready,’’ said CVHS senior Caroline LeVans. 

In order to help stop Barrett from becoming a Supreme Court justice I urge you to contact your senators and ask them to vote no on confirming Barrett, and to ask your friends and family to do the same. 

4 thoughts on “Vote no on confirming Amy Barrett as new Supreme Court justice

• Amanda

Barrett shouldn’t have been confirmed so close to the election, especially after the senate prevented Obama from appointing a new justice because they claimed it should be up to the newly elected president to appoint someone.

• Hannah Pilgrim

I was really disappointed in the confirmation of Barrett, especially since Senate Republicans in 2016 blocked any confirmations of Obama’s nominees for SCOTUS and other federal courts.

• Zachary Simonton

Please, let’s NOT have Amy Coney Barrett for our supreme court justice, and hope that Biden wins the election and fires Barrett. Let’s not forget to have Trump LOSE … to a BIG blue wave.

• Zachary Simonton

At least he did not pick Brett Kavanaugh. Brett Kavanaugh is the WORST Supreme Court Justice EVER to be in the white house.