CommunityHighlightsNews

Students support Ukraine with handmade cards

Around 250 CVHS students wrote cards to children in Ukraine expressing their empathy to their situation. 

Spanish teacher Miriam Dominguez was asked by a local couple if some of her students would like to make cards to go into Easter baskets they were sending to kids in Ukraine. She said the couple believed it would be nice to have other people their age write to these kids. 

“I teach culture and want my students to have a diverse understanding of many cultures,” said Domniguez.

The cards were sent out in Easter baskets filled with other goods for the students. The couple thanked Dominguez in an email saying that they wish they could show each parent the cards to show them they have kind and compassionate children.

Dominguez encouraged them to look at poems and quotes to gain inspiration for the cards.

“It’s incredibly difficult for young people to put themselves in the place of these children,” said Dominguez. 

One of the notes said “ Let God be your torch through the dark, trust in God, he’ll always be by your side.” 

Another one stated, “I want you to know that one day, everything will be okay. Remember that there is someone here in the U.S who cares for you and is sending you warmth and hope. If you can, Keep finding the little reasons everyday to stay strong. Don’t lose hope.”

9 thoughts on “Students support Ukraine with handmade cards

• This is a really nice idea that doesn’t take so much to do but it leaves a great impact on the people in Ukraine. Showing our support for them makes both the sender and the receiver of the card feel good. In times like these, small acts of kindness go a long way.

• I’m so happy this was something CVHS participated in – spreading good wishes to those that need them is really important, especially now to those in Ukraine. Let’s keep doing this maybe on a weekly/monthly basis if the Russia // Ukraine conflict continues, I think that would be a good use of the first 5-10 minutes of your homeroom class. Yeah, I say we continue it.

• Giancarlo Mota

I really like these acts of kindness which can really go a long way. Little acts of encouragement could be huge in a person’s life.

• I really love these acts of kindness. The kids in Ukraine are in hard times right now and they need all the support they can get from us. These cards are a great way of showing that.

• i think many people tend to overlook how the little things like this creates such a bigger impact. it is so heartwarming to know students are supporting other students!

• Francisco Espinoza

I think that its very kind of students to do these. There are some really great words of inspiration on them however I feel bad because I did one in class and it wasn’t very great, honestly I feel like it wasn’t motivating/inspiring enough.

• This is great! It is very good to know that people at CVHS are doing something like this. I can’t imagine how extremely difficult this conflict has been for the children in Ukraine and ones that have fled. This is the least we can do to send our support.

• I think is a really nice idea that the students are making cards to help to support Ukraine. So they feel like they are not alone, that there is other people supporting.

• This was a really good idea. It’s a simple activity that doesn’t take a lot of time or effort on the students’ part, but it provides a lot of psychological support for kids in Ukraine. It’s really cool that we have the resources to show CVHS students’ compassion to people halfway across the world.