FeatureSlider

Flourishing Freshmen: Finding their way

With the start of the 2024 school year, most students are returning to the familiarity of the CVHS community. Yet many students from the freshman class of 2027  may feel confused while transitioning into their first year of unfamiliar high school processes and classes. 

Middle school campuses, such as Canyon or Creekside, helped prepare students for the heavy workload helping for an easier transition towards clubs and classes, yet the size of CVHS’s campus is still quite incredible for a few freshmen. 

“Middle school prepared me for getting used to six to seven teachers per day, but it didn’t prepare me for the giant campus that is CVHS,” said freshman Kineta Ludwig.

“I miss how small everything was back then,” added freshman Issac Hulse.

Despite the daunting campus, however, most freshmen don’t find the school intimidating, but rather as an opportunity to stretch their wings and grow further in their passions. 

“As for what passions I am investing this year would have to be first chair violinist,” Sierra Quinby noted.

Programs such as music production, theater, biology, and various other classes give students the chance to use their own talents, motivations and skills in ways they hadn’t been able to before, while also helping freshmen interact with upperclassmen in order to foster relationships and make their first year memorable.

Students have already found friendly upperclassmen to become friends with and rely on, in addition to always having a counselor to talk to in terms of class-related issues.

“I do have people to talk to if I need any help,” stated Mirielle Chiv.

With clubs beginning to emerge, freshmen should have no difficulty finding or founding communities that they can call themselves a part of and at home with. Upperclassmen have already experienced the same issues before and are certainly willing to lend a helping hand to the rest who can’t find a club fit for them. 

“I think it’s our responsibility to make them feel open here at CVHS and that they belong, even if it’s something small with saying hi around campus and helping them locate things within school,” said Jasper Omori.