FeatureSlider

You can’t substitute our substitutes!

No matter the class there will be a time when teachers need a substitute to fill the day. From teaching math in the morning to watching over PE in the afternoon, substitutes are a versatile and necessary part of our school’s community.

There are many impressive substitute teachers at CVHS, such as Aram Matossian. Many may know Matossian for his iconic long green and yellow scarf. 

“I sub from severely handicapped to AP Calculus. I do PE. I have done every single classroom on this campus. It gives me variety. I am not stuck with the same students all the time,” said Matossian.

Matossian has been a substitute teacher at CVHS since 2008 after getting his certification in 2007. He started his career at 55 with a social studies degree. He knew that full-time teaching would be too much work for him at the time and chose to be a substitute instead.

Another great substitute is Eric Ilmberger. Ilmberger has been a substitute for about five years at CVHS. Ilmberger was previously a tutor straight out of college in both math and English. He planned to become a full-timer teacher, but learned that he enjoyed substituting more. 

“I like how every day is totally different as a substitute. Every day I have a different group of students, with a different subject, and different questions that challenge me. I love learning new things and I am constantly learning right along with the students at CVHS when I work as a substitute,” said substitute Ilmberger.

Substitutes have never been needed more than now. After a year of being online many substitutes were afraid to come back to campus because of safety concerns. In addition once the omicron variant hit campus it was more likely for teachers to be out.

“There is a greater need for subs this year due to the pandemic and the fact that if a teacher has symptoms or in fact has Covid, there is the isolation period.  This could leave a teacher out for ten days,” said main office secretary Jenessa Spade, who manages the school’s substitutes.

Ilmberger and Matossian both stated that they have been on campus more than any other precious years. 

“I have been here every day except three days this whole year,” said Matossian.

Substitutes allow classes to continue smoothly and for students to have another source of help. All substitutes at CVHS are greatly appreciated for all their hard work!

23 thoughts on “You can’t substitute our substitutes!

• I really appreciate our substitutes. They are here for us everyday and are an important part of the school.

• Tristan

Im really thankful to have subs especially since two of my teachers have been absent a lot this year and I have had to learn a lot from subs.

• Candice H

thank you subsitutes!

• Delenn Block

I’m so grateful for our substitutes, the work they put in is incredible. I always enjoy having a sub they help make the class feel much better when the teacher isn’t there.

• I am very thankful to have substitute teachers at CVHS who are willing to dedicate their time and effort in making sure that every student gets the help they need. I understand that it may be hard for subs to switch to different classes to learn about different topics that may even be challenging to them. At times, the sub doesn’t always know what to do or how to meet the teacher’s expectations. Even after all of this, the subs are still able to work with new students and learn something new each day. There are hard times when the sub gives out a small amount of work to the students when they are not sure of the plans that would be made by the teacher when present. Times were especially hard during the pandemic when COVID rates were high and when one of my teachers left for all of second semester which meant we had to work with a lot of sub teachers. I wasn’t able to learn much because of this as the subs only gave a small portion of work that the teacher wouldn’t normally assign and didn’t really know what to do. However, the subs still managed to pull through and were always dedicated to their jobs even in the worst times. The subs are like a backup to keep our learning experience available. Without subs, the student’s learning experience could’ve been resisted.

• AJ Gudino

I think we are very lucky to have such great substitutes at CVHS and the whole district. They always go above and beyond for the students and continues to come in every day and fill in the holes that we need them to fill. I always show respect towards subs because I know how hard their job is and they do it basically all for the students.

• Kristen O.

I applaud these substitutes for coming to school every day. I honestly thought they were teachers who became subs because they didn’t have a class that period. I never knew CVHS has year-long substitutes. They are doing a terrific job helping as much as they can for each class, even if it’s out of their comfort zone.

• Raezelle Yanuaria

Thank you substitutes.
    I can’t express the amount of gratitude that I have for the substitutes. Especially with the pandemic and the unexpectedness to be called to the job, I am grateful for these substitutes. They have to deal with different grade levels, classes, students, and so much more. Additionally, if they’re called on the job unexpectedly they show up and execute their duties flawlessly. They are such a crucial aspect to the successes of CVHS and they deserve much appreciation.

• Aram Matossian has been subbing for my classes since middle school. To be honest he’s one of my favorite substitute teachers. He’s really nice and polite students. He’s also pretty chill but keeps us on task so we don’t fall behind in our work.

• The impact of Substitutes aren’t talked about enough. They are constantly adapting to new situations and problems, while also being tasked with managing and controlling 30 kids at once. They always bring a familiar vibe into the classroom that they watch over. Substitutes were there for us weeks at a time when omicron hit. They truly are under appreciated and overlooked, we should be more thankful.

• Jack Biggs

Thank you substitutes for being there for us when our teachers aren’t there and being so nice to us. Substitutes are just amazing people and liven up the classroom with their presence. Some substitutes even give out candy like Mr.Corbas and Aram is such a nice guy and I love it when he is my substitute. Substitutes are very good at keeping the room under control and making sure students are on task.

• I enjoy having a substitute who knows what to do with students’ questions when my teacher is out for the day, I can keep on track with the study because of their knowledge and friendly attitude, I really appreciate the substitutes on our campus.

• I like substitutes and how they teach the class, or even with the questions they ask. It may be stressful at times when you have to sub multiple classes in one day.It is amazing how much work the substitutes do every day.

• Tharen Kekoa Hilliard

I enjoy every time I have a sub and it always feels like a joy. It is something new in the classroom almost like the first day of school feeling all over again. I also always enjoy the subs I’ve never had a sub I did not like. They are a for real appreciated for everything they do.

• Aiden Frost

After reading this it changed my perspective on substitute teachers and how hard they work. Throughout this article, we can see numerous amounts of evidence on how we need substitute teachers more than ever. After COVID hit our school teachers and students alike have been out, with no other option subs have to be there in place of the teachers. The hard work that they due should not be unrecognized because without them CVHS wouldn’t be the same.

• Substitutes are such an important part of school life and community. It’s hard to imagine a world where substitutes didn’t exist. It’s hard to imagine the flexibility that they must have to be able to jump to and from different classes every day. I respect their abilities and appreciate their hard work.

• Joseph Pak

I appreciate the work that our substitute teachers do for us on a daily basis and I have gratitude to them for their work. Having good substitute teachers is a great thing as it makes those days that our normal teachers miss better. The subs at CVHS are great at their jobs and I truly appreciate them for that.

• courtney bosco

thank you to the substitutes willing to come into our classes every day. i had mr. I for a month in my physics class, and he was able t teach us still so we didn’t miss out on too much curriculum. substitutes have just as hard of a job as teachers, so everyone should be grateful for their contribution to our school.

• Ariyan Jazaeri

Thank you, substitutes, for allowing students to continue learning through unforeseen circumstances. I remember having a substitute for weeks in one of my classes and still being able to work as if the teacher never left. Our substitutes do a terrific job keeping the classes on schedule and focused while the teacher is absent.

• I enjoy some substitutes and how to teach the class, or even with questions. It may be stressful at times when you have to sub multiple classes in one day so I have much respect for them and shwo respect towards them in the classroom

• It’s pretty cool to see how long these substitutes have been around. Also very impressive how Mr. Matossian started at 55 with a social studies degree. It’s also interesting to see that many substitutes could have been teachers but enjoyed substituting more.

• Thank you, substitutes!
    I remember back when Covid cases were super high and all but 2 of my classes had subs. It was fun every day seeing who would be our sub. Even though its pretty much a free day, I do enjoy having our normal teachers

• It is amazing how much work the substitutes do every day. They are the ones who jump in and help and are prepared even when the teachers have an unexpected emergency. It must be hard to jump from class to class with different grade levels and different students in each one. We should be very appreciative of the work they do for our community.