FeatureHighlights

Stanley teaches a daily language, Python

After writing out many lines of code, a student clicks “run.” The screen turns black as the computer loads and the student crosses their fingers. Suddenly, an intricate graphical pattern appears. The code was successful! Making graphics is just one of the limitless things you can create using the programming language, Python. 

“You will find some use [with Python] in your day-to-day life,” said CTE teacher Louis Stanley. 

For the first time at CVHS, a Python class is being offered. Python is the second most popular programming language. With its straightforward commands, it allows students to easily understand what is going on. The new class is taught by Stanley, who not only teaches many other technology related courses but also has industry experience. 

During class, students are able to code together through breakout rooms. 30 minutes is given to complete a set of questions. After they are done, code is shared for the whole class to review on a shared Google Sheet. This allows students to view other group’s code and to improve upon their own.

Code is also shared and presented in front of the whole class. Stanley often shows real world examples of how Python code can be used in day to day life. A code he wrote allows him to take attendance and send a list of students who were present and not present to his email. Another code allows him to easily find the extension phone number for all the staff on campus. He can also randomly assign teams and even conduct peer evaluations. Python allows Stanley to be efficient in his teaching.

Many students enjoy the new Python class and it’s focus on being hands on rather than book work.

“Mr. Stanley’s class is a rather relaxed class and there is not much work,” said senior Darren Yong. 

Students also use the class as an opportunity to discover if they would like to pursue a career that requires coding.

“I just wanted to get a feeling of what coding is like and see if I would like doing it more in the future,” said junior Colin Sutedja.

As distance learning has forced students to work from home, some students may not be able to download a Python compiler. A compiler allows students to test and run their code. However, using the website Repl.it, students are able to run their code all in the chrome browser. Additionally, a website called MyProgrammingLab provides additional guidance and examples for students to practice on.

Python is an extremely sought after skill in the 21st century world of the internet. It’s most common use is in machine learning. Many websites, like Instagram, Spotify and Google use Python to learn about what users like and to give recommendations. Python is also leading the way in artificial intelligence. Demand for graduates knowing Python will only increase as technology plays a bigger role in our lives.

Learning to code in Python may seem like a daunting task, however with collaboration and a bit of experimentation, students can create endless results.

“Ask not what Python can do for you, but what you can do with Python,” Stanley said.

One thought on “Stanley teaches a daily language, Python

• Sasha B.

Love the quote at the end of the article. I have seen Mr. Stanley’s scripts in action during class a couple years ago.