EntertainmentHighlights

In “Where the Crawdads Sing,” cinematography shines while plot falls flat

​​In a world filled with constant socialization and interconnection, the idea of living alone in a marsh for years may seem foreign and extreme. But for Catherine “Kya” Danielle Clark, protagonist in “Where the Crawdads Sing,” this lifestyle is the only one she has ever known.

Based on the novel by Delia Owens of the same name, “Where the Crawdads Sing” is part murder mystery, part coming-of-age story. The film begins with Kya’s arrest in the murder of Chase Andrews, philanderer and former star quarterback of the small town of Barkley Cove. Through flashbacks to the 1950s, the audience learns of “the Marsh Girl’s” backstory: a childhood plagued by abuse, abandonment and survival in the North Carolina marshes she calls home. We follow how her life becomes shaped by two starkly contrasting young men, the thoughtful and romantic Tate Walker (played by Taylor John Smith) and the cocky, popular Chase Andrews (Harris Dickinson).

All throughout, the film explores themes of family and acceptance.  The excellently cast Daisy Edgar-Jones portrays a raw, ostracized, and awkward Kya who, deprived of her biological kin, longs for human connection. But as different as she seems, there are things we can relate with Kya: how she finds passions and hobbies and how she grapples with love and heartbreak.

Unfortunately, the narrative overall feels deliberately hurried and somewhat incoherent. Without most of the original novel’s backstory, likely cut due to time constraints, the depth of young Kya’s growth seems to disappear. I am also disappointed in how the movie almost completely glazes over Kya’s experiences with discrimination from Barkley Cove’s better-off whites and the racism that Jumpin’, one of the story’s few African American characters, is forced to endure. Even the ending twist feels abrupt and prematurely cut, leaving viewers who are not already familiar with the plot confused.

Another concern lies in the realism with which Kya and her shack are portrayed. Supposedly set in the middle of a muddy marsh, one would expect (as is described in the book) for Kya’s home to look run-down and her appearance dirty and tattered. Yet in the film, Kya’s residence is beautifully-furnished and well-kept; her clothes in perfect condition and her hair invariably washed and combed.

Despite these drawbacks, “Where the Crawdads Sing” maintains a sense of urgency and tension as Kya’s lawyer Tom Milton, well-portrayed by David Strathairn, expertly tries to convince a biased trial of his client’s innocence. Scenes in the marsh, forests and beaches are all beautifully shot as well. Lastly, the film’s soundtrack, including the original song “Carolina” by Taylor Swift (written and performed specifically for this film), adds emotional richness even where the plot falls flat.

“Where the Crawdads Sing” ultimately retains much of its entertainment value. Kya’s story shows not just a young girl’s struggles with loss, betrayal and grief, but the effects of isolation on what makes us human.

Rating: 3/5