EntertainmentSlider

Actors overcome pandemic with virtual Hitchcock play

Despite the pandemic and social distancing requirements, members of the CVHS advanced drama class performed Alfred Hitchcock’s “The 39 Steps.”

“We had to create something that hadn’t been done before,” said advanced drama teacher Tiffany Daily.

For the first time, actors had to perform virtually, and students had to rehearse through Zoom. Individual footage was recorded on cell phones while actors stood in front of pop-up green screens. Students dedicated a lot of time and effort and spent several weeks creating the show due to the difficulties of virtual performing.

The play is about a man named Richard Hannay who attends a performance by “Mr. Memory” who showcases his talents with his photographic memory. A fight breaks out in the theatre and shots are fired. As the audience scrambles, Hannay finds himself with a mysterious woman named Annabella Schmidt. 

Convinced to take her to his home, Schmidt reveals that she is a spy and the following day she is murdered. Hannay struggles to escape the police while being watched by a mysterious organization Schmidt told him about, called “The 39 Steps.”

“My favorite part of the play was the struggles we went through performing in such a different way,” said junior Zachary Furber Dobson who played the lead role, Hannay.

Despite the challenges, the advanced drama class worked hard and are pleased with their performance and are excited to present their show to CVHS.

So check out the Broadway On Demand website and watch this thrilling performance of “The 39 Steps.” The show airs through http://broadwayondemand.com from Dec. 4 at 8 p.m. until Dec. 5 at 8 p.m.

5 thoughts on “Actors overcome pandemic with virtual Hitchcock play

• Jonah Dionisio

I am so proud of our Visual Arts department for being so resilient during these difficult times. This must have been a very difficult task to fulfill but it turned out great! Glad to see my fellow classmates pursuing their interests and dreams.

• Charlize Tran

I think it’s really cool how the drama class decided to do a virtual performance despite the circumstances of the pandemic. I really appreciate their dedication & hard work towards the class and the play as well as their passion for performing.

• This is such a cool thing the advanced drama class is putting together this virtual event! Glad to hear they are still performing despite with our current situation at school and COVID-19.

• Tiffany

I think it’s really great that the CVHS advanced drama class was able to put together such an amazing performance despite the obstacles of the COVID-19 pandemic and virtual classes. It couldn’t have been easy, but I’m glad that they were able to find a way to perform the play virtually.

• Tiffany