21 and over is a “hilarious mess”

21-and-Over

Written and directed by the writers of The Hangover, the film 21 and Over promised to be one of the most laugh-out-loud comedies of the year. However, as hysterical as it was, nothing could save this movie from slowly crashing and burning.

Starring Justin Chon, of Twilight fame, Miles Teller, and Skylar Astin, 21 and Over is a slap-stick comedy centered on the crazy experiences of college student Jeff Chang, played by Chon, while celebrating his 21st birthday with his two best friends. Miller and Casey, played by Teller and Astin, hatch a plan to take Chang out to party, even though the next day is his big interview to get into medical school.

Although Chang refuses at first, the two buddies persuade him to come with them for just a couple drinks. Things quickly spin out of control, and before they know it Miller and Casey have to get an unconscious Chang back to his house before the interview. The only problem? They have no idea what his address is.

The story follows the hilarious adventures of the two boys trying to get their friend home in time for his important interview. The dialogue itself, though at most times rather crude, is righteously entertaining. One scene, in which Miller and Casey accidentally break into a Latina sorority house, is particularly priceless.

Unfortunately, the plot is not strong enough to make the movie truly spectacular. By the end, even the best laughs cannot support the weak storyline, and the rather clique ending doesn’t help. As hard as it tried, the movie couldn’t seem to pull itself together.

21 and Over provides an hour and a half of cheap laughs, and is a great choice for anyone seeking a brainless thrill. However, the movie cannot live up to the infamy of the writer’s previous film The Hangover. Expect to be entertained, but certainly not enlightened.