SliderSports

Trojans triumph against Tennyson

Senior football players alongside spirit squad seniors stood at the CVHS track behind the big inflatable trojan helmet and green and gold balloon arch with their most loved, anxiously waiting for their names to be called. Senior football players and squad members were celebrated during their senior night on Nov. 3. 

As 6 p.m. rolled around the corner, all non-senior players and spirit squad members lined up after the balloon arch. They created a pathway for their teammates, cheering on 15 players and 16 spirit squad members. Knowing football season was almost over, the overall mood was bittersweet. The spirit squad, however, will continue cheering at basketball games. 

Only a few minutes into the first quarter, the Trojans scored their first touchdown against Tennyson. This set the mood for the rest of the night, and the Trojans emerged victorious at the end of the game, 34-24. 

Senior night was not only a celebration, “[but a display] of character of this senior class,” stated head coach Denny Molzen. 

Once halftime began, the parents of most of the celebrated seniors took the field. Following the annual tradition, their parents performed a stadium-rattling dance. The crowd excitedly cheered for them as they swapped places with the senior members of the spirit squad. Everyone’s eyes were on them as they wowed the crowd with their fierce choreography. After a performance from the marching band, the football team returned for an exciting second half.

During the game, quarterback Cooper Matthews threw two touchdown passes and had five carries for 50 yards. Drew Leipold ran 20 yards, with Sevag Hakimian right behind running 16 yards, both catching touchdown passes. 

“Once there were only two games left we kinda stopped worrying about the opponents and started playing for us,” said Leipold. 

After a long and difficult season where many star players, like Nico Colmenares, were seriously injured early on, the Trojans worked hard to end on a winning streak against San Leandro and Tennyson. 

“We are losing a group of passionate and determined young men,” said Molzen,  “who I have no doubt will go on to be great leaders in whatever they choose to do after high school.”