SliderSports

Girls varsity golf team shoots to third

The girls varsity golf team placed third in the West Alameda County Conference (WACC) on Oct. 16, barely clearing 500 with a total of 497 strokes. 

The game, held at Metropolitan Golf Course, was quite an impressive achievement for Castro Valley as they placed third out of seven teams. The Trojans played against teams such as Bishop O’Dowd, Alameda, Arroyo, San Leandro, Piedmont, and Berkeley High School.

Shayley Stirtz, senior and Castro Valley’s captain, was one of the few to move onto the individual NCS championships. She had picked up golf while playing with her grandparents, and hopes to place high at NCS, scoring the eighth lowest score in the WACC qualifier. 

Even though she remarks on her disappointing finish at the tournament, she says “Golf is a frustrating sport, but in a good way,” as each struggle can be used as a means to improve. “Training each week at the golf course helps me build discipline and strength, despite the struggles.” Girls golf not only teaches technique behind the sport, but also patience and risk-or-reward mentality.

Lots of girls golfers on Castro Valley’s team, such as Stirtz, Kirin Wong and Hailey Young, played amazingly to help secure their third place spot.

WACC champion Sydney Sylvia was a huge hitter from Bishop O’Dowd. She will be attending the University of Arizona on a golf scholarship after she graduates in 2025. Many golfers from different high schools have learned and spent hours to one day reach the top. 

WACC official Jan Othen recalled personal memories regarding her sister’s attempt in boys golf tryouts. In 1979, Othen’s sister had scored the third-best score in tryouts. However, the system put in place by the coach only allowed two seniors, two juniors, and two sophomores. 

The coach chose two senior boys over Othen’s sister. Her school received a lot of criticism, and “from that, my dad took it to the Michigan State Supreme Court, and they ruled off Title 9 back then, and that’s when girls golf was mandatorily added along with boys golf.” 

The passage of Title 9, a federal education law, allowed both girls and boys to compete in school sports.