SliderSports

Boys water polo team starts the season off strong

The CVHS boys water polo team won an impressive three games at the Newark High School tournament. With a total of 41 goals scored and only conceded 12 in total of the three games. The second game of the tournament against Mission San Jose ended with a 12-3 win for CVHS.

“Collectively the goal was to play stronger together as a team and I was able to play the entire roster today with the whole team playing strong, “ said coach Patrick Ryken. “We are making progress, we are still early in the season. I’m seeing a lot of improvement on our defensive communication and keeping the team to only three goals conceded in a game is a positive.” 

“Wyatt Traski in goal had a solid game, when a goalie gives up three goals in a game it’s good team defense but Wyatt had a lot of good saves and his outlet passes were really strong.” said Coach Ryken. “The game was good, the other team didn’t play up to their potential, they are usually a much better team. I was trying to focus on passing and felt good, getting some good passes in. The underperformance of the other team definitely helped us but we played more solid on our passing and shooting, getting us ahead of the game.” Stated the boys varsity team captain Wyatt Traski, with six saves and only three goals conceded this game.

“It was a good game, wasn’t our strongest opponent we will face this year, but it was nice to get all the players some playing time. We’ve been working on communication a lot these last couple of practices and games and it’s been working very well.” said Raumann, leading the score sheet with a total of four goals out of the six shots.

With 11 games played so far, the boys varsity water polo team has 13 left in the regular season, with six of them being league games. 

3 thoughts on “Boys water polo team starts the season off strong

• I really hope that the Boys Water Polo team continue to work hard into the season and continue to be successful during games. I also hope that the team faces opponents who don’t give them the easy win, helping the team feel more accomplished if they win, and learn from their mistakes if they lose.

• Edvin Sabanovic

Thank you for coming out and getting some coverage! Great to see you there and getting some publicity for water polo.

• Hayden Holmgren

Glad to see our sports teams starting the season successfully. Go Trojans!