HighlightsSports

CVHS sports “almost” back to normal

Those who participated in CVHS athletics last year know that the season was shortened; North Coast Section (NCS) playoffs didn’t occur, COVID regulations and frequent tests were required to play, and strict rules surrounding spectators were regularly enforced. Many student-athletes and parents may wonder how sports will function and what to expect upon participating in this COVID stricken, yet post-quarantine, environment.

“As of right now, we are using the same COVID protocols as last year,” said Athletic Director Christopher Fortenberry. This entails weekly COVID tests for every athlete and masks are required unless otherwise stated. 

The safety and welfare of those attending and participating in school athletics is the number one priority for CVHS staff. 

Despite these regulations that were carried on from last year, athletes should expect a few positive differences this year. 

“The plan is to have a normal, full season,” said Fortenberry when inquired about whether athletes should expect full seasons or not. 

Contrary to last year, the rule surrounding spectators has drastically changed. “There will be no COVID-19 related limit on spectators for outdoor facilities. However, at times, capacity may be reduced to allow for safety measures,” the school announced on Aug. 20. This rule also applies to indoor sports.

Furthermore, the most significant tournament surrounding Bay Area school sports is taking place this year, after missing out last year. 

“I’m really excited that NCS is coming back this year because it serves as a motivating factor for all sports teams. It also provides more games in the season where players can improve and experience even higher levels of competition,” said CVHS soccer star Michael Karapetyan.

Regardless of all the COVID restrictions enacted to protect all athletes and spectators, school sports this 2021-2022 school year will be reminiscent of sports pre-quarantine.

For many students, sports act as the epitome of the high school experience. The social aspect and the ability to demonstrate your athletic ability is extremely appealing to most athletes.

“I’m excited to see all my haters stunned by the new and improved me this year,” said track athlete Nico Guevara-Longree.

2 thoughts on “CVHS sports “almost” back to normal

• Allison Mitchell

It’s great that sports are finally going back to normal and that we will be able to have more games and less restrictions during the seasons this year!

• Natalie J.

It’s exciting that school sports are slowly returning to normal. I know a lot of people were disappointed in the shorter seasons, so having full seasons this year will definitely be super motivational.