HighlightsSports

Cross country runners race to personal records

CVHS cross country teams competed in a challenging league meet at Hayward High on April 10. The girls varsity team placed fourth in the three mile race, while the boys varsity placed fifth. 

Top scorers on the girls varsity team were sophomore Cameron Huynh, who finished in 20 minutes and 20 seconds, junior Lena Rose Kiesling, and freshman Allison Mitchell. 

“The meet went well. The course was confusing at first, but it was nice because the trail was mostly flat and the scenery was pretty. I felt good about the race because I felt like I kept a good pace throughout it,” said Mitchell.

The fastest boys were sophomore Jacob Bull, who finished in 17 minutes, junior Logan Phulps, sophomore Conrad Avery, and senior Maximus Rojas. 

“The race went all right for me and the team kind of popped off as a whole,” commented Bull. 

The Trojans also competed in the three-mile open race where, for the boys, freshmen Roy McNabb, Lucas Chang, Gavin Huynh, and senior Anthony He all placed in the top 20 out of 76 participants. In the girls open race, juniors Sierra Camarena, Karina Vilcheck and freshman Lillian Horne were CVHS’s fastest three.

Due to the delay of returning to athletics during the pandemic, the cross country season and track season overlapped and most of the team participated in both sports. While this was really pushing their limits, the Trojans prevailed and all ran a great race. 

“It was really difficult to train for both seasons at the same time but we did the best we could,” said Bull.

“The season overall was so much better than I thought it would be and I had a lot of fun,” said Mitchell.

One thought on “Cross country runners race to personal records

• Kyla Dolorfino

I could never imagine running like they do! Super awesome that we have amazing athelets