EntertainmentSlider

Social media or “The Social Dilemma”

“The Social Dilemma” is a 2020 Netflix documentary about the dangers of social networking. The makers speak to many former employees from huge tech companies such as Twitter, Facebook, Google. 

Social media has brought many positives, but there is also a dark side to it that many don’t talk about which the documentary dives into. The mental health effect of a social media addiction is often not spoken about. Many of us have probably heard the joke “it’s because of that phone”  when dealing with something unrelated, but there is a real connection between depression and social media.  

Most of us have also probably heard the term “fake news,” but fake news comes with real consequences. When false information is all around us, what or who should we listen to?

The way media companies make their money is something many don’t think about, but it’s very important to understand. Companies selling personal information is something many have heard about but don’t really understand. One powerful quote from the documentary that sums it up is “ if you’re not paying for the product, then you are the product.” 

Social media is a very powerful tool in the modern era but it can have unintentional downsides. The documentary goes in depth about how social media affects our brains and how we live day to day. A very interesting watch for anyone interested in learning more about how the apps they spend so many hours on really work to keep you connected. This documentary may not make you stop using social media, but it will make you look at it in a completely different way.

14 thoughts on “Social media or “The Social Dilemma”

• Elah

I am definitely watching this documentary after reading this article!

• alyssa

I had watch this documentary before and it was quite eye-opening for me!

• This documentary highlights so many crucial aspects of our lives that we fail to recognize. Thank you Delenn for this awesome review!

• Brianna Villaverde

I’ve been looking for something to watch on my free time and this is something I’m interest in learning about.

• NIce article! I will most definitely watch this later during my freetime, this documentary seems very informative.

• I’ve watched this documentary with my family, it was very eye opening and enlightened a new perspective of social media and technology. Awesome take on it!!

• I think I should go watch this documentary!

• I thought this documentary was very eye opening. I think everyone should watch this so they are aware of what these big tech companies are doing.

• Cecilia Lin

After reading this article, I am really interested in watching the documentary! The social media apps made us attached to the phone, and I will love to learn how they did it.

• I haven’t heard about this yet surprisingly, it sounds super interesting. Will definitely have to watch it when I have the time to!

• David Hernandez

Sounds like an interesting documentary! I will have to watch it soon.

• I watched the Social Dilemma and found it very eye-opening as well. A very good review by Delenn.

• I’ve heard a lot about this documentary, but never got around to watching it. I’m going to watch it the next opportunity I get.

• I didn’t watch this documentary and now I don’t have to because of this review. Thanks, Olympian!