SliderSports

Softball squad surges to team title

CVHS varsity softball players jumped in joy as they achieved an exciting comeback against Alameda, scoring seven runs in one inning to take the game, 11-10. 

Teamwork contributed to this April 7 victory as everyone in the lineup contributed. Outfielder Analiya Arias drove in four runs. Infielder Kyndal Todd hit a home run to put the Trojans in the lead. Finally, with the bases loaded, pitcher Isabella Berganciano caught a line drive to secure the Trojans’ win.

They took first place in the league with a staggering total of nine wins and only one loss against the Arroyo Dons. 

Teamwork contributed to this victory as everyone in the lineup helped to score the seven runs. A close 3-2 win over Granada was another highlight. 

“This season, my goal was to contribute to the team as much as I could,” said junior Sophia Siu. She ended with a total of 13 RBIs, a batting average of .368, and an on base percentage of .422. Siu hit nine singles and five doubles.

While COVID provided a challenge for the athletes by requiring them to stay in top shape, the softball team followed health precautions and maintained a safe environment to play. 

“It was not much of a challenge because we respect each other, and we want to keep each other safe and that means wearing masks,” Siu said. 

Overall, the team’s tremendous teamwork and support for each other brought great success. Through supporting their pitchers with great offensive hits, driving runners in, and not leaving runners on, the team was able to play exceptionally.

“This season was my favorite season out of all three years because of the great atmosphere the team created. We are all supportive of each other and always focused on having fun on the field! Of course, it was amazing to represent CVHS as number one in league!” Siu said.

“We lost our starting pitcher half way through the season and so senior Isabella Berganciano stepped up and became one of our starting pitchers,” noted coach Nicole Manley. ”Players came together and the sense of comradare amongst the girls is what lead to the team’s great success this season.”

One thought on “Softball squad surges to team title

• Keep it up!