Sports

Inaugural Derby hits a home run!

“Swing batta batta batta swing!”

The CVHS baseball program held its first Home Run Derby on Saturday, Feb. 4, in honor of the newly installed outfield fence.  The entry fee of $20 paid by each participant went toward the CVHS baseball program.  At least 40 competitors participated in the Derby, with 22 advancing to the second round.

The Home Run Derby champion was Ryan “Rowdy” Tellez from Elk Grove High School, who hit the most home runs in the final round, with one reaching more than 450 feet.

In order to move on to the second round, participants were allowed ten swings to hit a minimum of one home run, which is approximately 300 feet down the line.  Second round players were then allowed to swing away until getting ten “outs,” which is anything other than a home run.

The top five competitors who hit the most home runs in this round went on to the finals.  These contenders included Tellez, Michael Echavia from Amador High School, CVHS graduate Caleb Cooper, Hayward High School’s Robert Monchak, and Paddy O’Brien from Miramonte High School.

“It was a great event and all the participants had a lot of fun,” said CVHS junior Luke Huerta, one of the competitors.

The Home Run Derby attracted the attention of some professional baseball scouts, as well as pro-ball players who travelled far for this event.  The CVHS baseball program hopes to make the derby an annual showcase.

Event coordinator Darrell Lavin said the players have worked extremely hard to raise money for the baseball program.
“Coach Iglesias has done an amazing job of transforming the program from what it was,” said Lavin.  “The program is preparing them for the next level of baseball, but more importantly, what’s needed in life: hard work and respect.”