Sports

Wrestlers pin opponents at HAAL championships

CVHS boys wrestlers emerged from the HAAL league meet victoriously on Feb. 19. The long challenging season was met with a strong team.

Senior Adam Busch claimed his third straight HAAL title as he beat his Mount Eden opponent in his only match of the day. Other top wrestlers at the meet included Travis Mocker, Neil Flippin, Matt Waespi, Salvador Osorio, and Zack McBeth.

Many wrestlers have already reached high standings. Wrestlers such as Mocker and Busch have placed high in state-wide standings and are still improving.

“It was a young team, but we improved a lot. Many of the boys are new to the team and only one senior has been here all four years,” stated head coach Josh Wheeler.

At an NCS meet on Feb. 5, there was a heartbreaking series of rounds in which many players tried their hardest, but were matched with sturdy competitors. The team, however, was still able to come in fourth out of the many teams who attended the meet.

“It was a tough one but we did pretty good,” said Flippin.

As a symbol of team unity and pride in a season well done, the entire team bleached their hair to a vibrant blonde.

Regardless, the Trojans have done quite well this season and their hard work and efforts make their school and coach proud.