OpinionSlider

Taylor Swift, An Icon

Singer, songwriter, business woman, fashion and so much more. These are some of many more words that are used to describe Taylor Allison Swift. As said in Swift’s song “You’re On Your Own Kid,” she gave her “blood, sweat, and tears for this.” Now you might be  wondering what “this” is. Well it represents all her success and perseverance through everything she’s been through. I believe Swift is much more than just a singer, she is an inspiration.

The way you typically get into music is through recommendations or even hearing an artist on the radio and listening to more. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” was Swift’s first number one song, and at the age of four years old, I was drawn in. 

Many people say that Swift just sings about her ex-boyfriends but there are a lot of songs that revolve around many other topics, including her thoughts on the LGBTQ+ community and the 2018 Tennessee Senate race. Listening to the way she words her songs is what really connects most people to Swift. She inspires me because she is resilient and relatable. 

Back in 2019, Swift got her first six albums sold and out of her possession because of entrepreneur, Scooter Braun. This has caused lots of controversy because Swift doesn’t have ownership of her original songs that she worked hard to make. So what did she do? She decided to retaliate by re-recording her former albums with her new record label. By doing this, she was able to have possession of her albums back by re-naming the albums with parentheses that say, “(Taylor’s Version).”

Not only was this inspiring, but this helped show women to stand up for themselves and how girls shouldn’t be treated by the “toxic male privilege.” Swift helps people relate to her music in ways no one could imagine. Lyrics such as  “I can change everything about me to fit in,” and “It’s your freshman year and you’re gonna be here for the next four years in this town” help teen girls, including me, relate to what it’s like to be in high school. 

With an amazing voice like hers, and the motivation that she has, I know she will be one of the big time artists of all time. Swift isn’t only a singer for young women, she is for any and all age groups, races, genders and religions. Swift is a role model for everyone, and people should strive to be as strong as she is. 

6 thoughts on “Taylor Swift, An Icon

• Karla

I agree, that Taylor Swift is an icon in the music industry and she is a big inspiring person for many young women.

• Grace

I agree, Taylor’s actions prove she is a resilient woman and her way of retaliation to get her songs back is a powerful move.

• Isabel

I don’t listen to Taylor Swift, but I find it uplifting that she inclusively represents everyone through her songs.

• Kalaya

You’re so real for that, Taylor Swift really is an icon. Not only is she an amazing singer and songwriter, but she’s a great and hard-working person too.

• I agree. Taylor is incredibly inspiring, and uplifting especially to young women.

• Suzette Gillespie

Excellent read. Didn’t know she re-recorded her songs on her own label to own them. Brilliant! An inspiration indeed.