HighlightsOpinion

Save trees, assign online work

During the pandemic, all of my teachers started assigning classwork and homework online and continued to do so even after returning to in-person. I’ve found it much easier to manage my assignments online because of the pandemic.

I realized this was a significant development because it makes managing assignments easier for teachers and students. It also makes the lessons more accessible for students who have a lot of work or have difficulties organizing their work.

Assigning classwork and homework digitally also saves a lot of paper and money that could be spent on more practical uses.  According to RecordNations, an organization that documents records online, schools use 32 billion sheets of paper annually. A single piece of paper costs five cents. This means schools spend over two and a half billion dollars per year alone on paper. By taking advantage of the internet, we can decrease deforestation along with staying organized. 

There are other benefits to online assignments, such as being able to access new, alternative resources and keeping track of when projects are due. I find it less stressful knowing that I don’t have to keep track of all my work because I simply check my Google Classroom for the due dates of assignments and projects.

“I think for English, doing most of the work online is easier. However, for some subjects, like math, it would be more difficult,” said English teacher Tina Johansson. 

Along with online assignments, e-textbooks are also beneficial. I rejoice at the fact that I don’t have to drag heavy textbooks to my next classes because I can access online textbooks. Not only can I access online textbooks, but I can also view worksheets I may have missed without any trouble. Another benefit of moving all assignments online is that students can work from home whenever they are absent. Having most of my classwork and homework online has made it easier for me to complete and organize my assignments. Teachers who haven’t started posting classwork online should consider moving to digital assignments.