EditorialsHighlightsOpinion

Hybrid model: concerns about reopening

Beginning on April 12, CVHS will begin a hybrid model of learning to allow students to return to campus. After more than a year in distance learning, we at The Olympian are excited to be back in the physical classroom, but we have a few concerns.

Each day before arriving on campus, students are expected to fill out the Daily Health Screener. Not only should everyone remember to fill this out every day, but also now more than ever it is important to be honest about your answers. In the past, it was not uncommon for students to show up to school even when they weren’t feeling the best because they thought it was not worth missing a day. However, it is crucial that everyone take extra caution when they feel sick. 

Additionally, The Olympian is a little concerned about how long it will take for staff to check every student’s Health Screener every morning. To make the entire process more smooth, students should make sure to have the screener filled out and ready to go when they arrive.

Once students are on campus, an important part of preventing the spread of COVID-19 will be wearing masks and social distancing. Everyone should not only wear a mask but also preferably a good fitting one to ensure maximum protection. 

It might be uncomfortable to wear a mask for such a long period of time, but it is important that students don’t remove their masks during passing periods. Passing periods will be longer, extended to ten minutes due to the new one-way hallways. The Olympian thinks these one-way hallways are a good idea, although the lines showing the direction on the ground might not work very well until students are used to the idea and pathways. 

With the extended passing periods, it is important for students to remember to maintain six feet of distance from each other. Although many haven’t seen each other since last March, there really shouldn’t be any gathering in the courtyard or crowding. We worry it will be difficult for staff to completely regulate this, so we encourage students to call out their friends who aren’t following the rules.

Another new rule will be that only two students will be allowed in each bathroom at a time. This is a good idea, because it will force people to stay distanced from each other while inside and hopefully everyone will also maintain a distance if they are waiting outside in a line. It would be best if students could remember to use the bathroom before arriving at school, or if teachers would be more lenient about allowing students to use the restroom during class. Otherwise, we suggest that administration allow up to three or four students in some of the larger bathrooms. Returning to campus may be difficult for some. However, it is exciting to finally meet our classmates and teachers for the first time this school year. As CVHS slowly begins to transition to the hybrid learning model, The Olympian asks our fellow students to be safe and be smart.

2 thoughts on “Hybrid model: concerns about reopening

• So far it seems like the hybrid model is working out. I’m not sure how it will hold up when we all go back to a regular school year after summer break though. There will probably be more students, and it will become more difficult to maintain safety protocols.

• Felix Shum

I also feel concerned about reopening, but for the following school year. Many of us chose to not participate in the hybrid model out of fear for safety. However, I hope the hybrid model will help us transition into a regular school year after the summer so we do not have to deal with the struggles of distance learning.