Words mean more than you think

TylerMaciasLately at school, I’ve been hearing that people hate other students at CVHS because of a rumor they heard that was spreading around. The rumor usually was very hateful and disturbing, such as calling others a slut or a whore. But have you ever taken the time to see if that person is really what everyone says?

I was told that people I knew were hated because of some rumor. This rumor consists of these very harsh and hurtful words: “She’s a little slut because she went messing around with so many people,” or a more commonly heard comment, like, “She’s a slut… that’s what everyone says.” Instead of judging the victim by the rumors, I asked her about it to see what it was all about, soon realizing that the people who were spreading rumors were wrong. The person they were discussing is one of the most interesting individuals I have ever met, and it’s horrible that one person can change someone’s image.

Have you ever heard the phrase, “treat someone the way you want to be treated?” Well, the people who merely criticize instead of finding out whether the rumor is true or not should really keep this phrase in mind. What if you were being called harsh names behind your back? How would you feel?

Most people don’t understand how it feels to be called things because they are usually the ones spreading the rumors. It wasn’t just one of my friends that had this rumor stick to them, there were many. All innocent, all very kind people that didn’t deserve the way they were treated. For many people, when they say something sarcastically, it may not mean much to them. But for the other person having to hear this, it can change the way they view themselves.

Making a little joke to one person can mean a whole lot more to another. But don’t just take my word for it; consider reading the book 13 Reasons Why, a story that talks about 13 reasons why someone committed suicide, all of which revolve around this girl because of some rumors that weren’t even true. Just think, what if you made a sarcastic remark to someone and then having that be one of the reasons they killed themselves? How much of an impact would that have on you?

Many people are affected by rumors and every person takes rumors differently. Will you believe or leave? Believe it and treat the person being lied about horribly, or leave the conversation and actually try to understand the person being lied about. Perhaps people simply misunderstood what happened, or it is a lie. Teenagers sometimes commit suicide because of rumors, friends that betray them, or because people perceive them differently and it ultimately sends them into deep depression. Why would you want someone to suffer through depression and have suicidal thoughts? Be careful with what you say because it can ultimately end someone’s life, and is spreading a rumor ever worth that?

Statistics have shown that around 800,000 to one million people die from suicide per year, making it the tenth leading cause of death worldwide. However, there is an estimate of 10 million non-fatal suicidal attempts. Attempts are more common with young people and in females. If you feel like you are suicidal and need help, call the suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or 1-800-273-TALK.