Russia’s Anti-Gay Laws

The conditions of the Sochi Olympics have been a bit of a disaster, with unfinished hotel rooms, wild dogs, and terrorist threats, just to name a few. But while we can all scan our Twitter feeds for updates about bathrooms with no stall doors and broken doorknobs, a much more disturbing fault is also on the radar, one that has been taking place for centuries. Russia’s anti-gay stance has been prevalent in its government and in its population, most recently have manifested itself in a new law banning LGBT “propaganda.” Passed in June 2013, the legislation bans distribution of LGBT information to minors and public exhibition of pro-gay material.

Anti-gay discrimination isn’t just a legislative issue, but also a social one. Violent beatings and humiliation of gays and activists are common and often overlooked by Russian police. Terrorist organizations such as Occupy Paedophilia post videos and pictures of the group luring LGBT teens to certain locations and then torturing them. To be openly gay in Russia is to assume regular discrimination and brutality.

AnnaTalajkowskiThe attitude of Russia towards the LGBT community can be summed up by one phrase. Russia does not use the terms “gay,” “lesbian,” or “homosexual.” Instead, these people are defined as “non-traditional,” as not normal. As not what they are supposed to be.

Although these views can be found across the globe, the scary thing about Russia’s course of action is that they target the younger generation. It is impossible to spread tolerance across a country and even the world if a child never sees it from the moment he or she is born. What are children supposed to think when they see gay activists being arrested on the street? What message is being sent when LGBT individuals are beaten in front of them? How are they going to feel when they see videos of their open classmates being ridiculed? These laws not only spread hatred and fear, but are outright undemocratic. Russia masquerades itself as a republic by using a technique they’ve perfected over the years: It’s easy to pick a side when there’s only one choice available.

Countries have considered putting pressure on Russia to change their laws by internationally ridiculing them, a popular idea being to boycott the Olympics. This, however, is a solution that can never cause permanent change. You cannot fight hate with hate, nor can you fight a war about love with hate. The U.S. has taken an approach, as small as it seems, that has by far been the best path to acceptance. The U.S. sent a representative delegation to Sochi featuring both straight and openly gay members. It expresses our country’s views and shows Russia that harmony can exist in a place of openness. But perhaps the best thing is that it gives the younger population an example of tolerance that they might not have ever experienced.