The Olympian says that love is different for everyone

cupid graphic

On Valentine’s Day, there seems to be love everywhere you look. You hear people saying “I love you” to each other almost as often as “hello.” It’s all cute and floral and rosy.

It really gets you thinking: do they truly mean it? After all, what is love? And does true love even exist in high school?

We at The Olympian believe that the definition of love differs from person to person.

For instance, in some cases, love can be a deep feeling of romantic or sexual attachment to someone or an intense feeling of deep affection.

But in others, love can be the feeling of always wanting to be with a person because life without them is unimaginable. That person is someone’s world because they are more important than anything else.

With such different interpretations of love, how do we know which one is right?

In high school, maybe there is love. However, in most cases, the first boyfriend or girlfriend one has usually isn’t the person one falls in life-long love with. They could really like each other, but usually never truly “love” each other.

To find true love, one must explore. Being glued to one person for a lifetime may not be true love, but merely a sense of comfort. One cannot know what love is if they only try to find it with one person.

Every person is different and looks for different things in love. Loving someone could just mean someone who made a really big life impact and to whom there will always be ties, because of who they were and what they meant.

True love may exist, but probably doesn’t in high school. This is because in high school, people are constantly changing. They’re in a time of their lives where they are trying to find out who they are. So if they’re trying to figure themselves out, how could they truly know and love someone else?

We at The Olympian believe that people often mistake being in love for attraction. Teenage hormonal levels are at their peak in high school. Thus, “love” could simply be hormones, nothing more than a physical attraction to someone. Also, teens are in love with the idea of love, and aren’t mature enough yet to know for sure because they are inexperienced in life.

When looking at all the balloons in the hallways, the couples kissing, and all the cute things done on Valentine’s Day, it’s easy to believe in true love. But we at The Olympian believe that everyone has their own definition of love.

Happy Valentine’s Day, and good luck getting a prom date!