“Lend a hand” to stop budget cuts

I can’t believe the horrible budget cuts being enacted on schools. I know that a lot of people have heard of the crisis, but many aren’t fully aware of what the cuts actually mean for our educational facilities. I don’t think they realize that billions of dollars are being taken from schools, and that everyone will be affected.

Does our state government not realize the importance of schools? Do they all not think about the fact that these schools provide the foundation on which our lives stand? Or the fact that our opinions about them now will affect our future votes for them when they run for a government office?

I am appalled and disgusted by them.

I wish I could explain the way I feel about them taking money away from schools, where all the children in this country come together to learn, where the governing officers themselves got their educations, where they learned enough to move on to their bigger positions that affect millions of lives.

Our current school year has been affected drastically. The state is dealing with a $20 billion deficit. Schools in Castro Valley are getting $5.1 million taken away from them. 

The bright side of the situation is that there are people out there who are making a difference in the budget crisis. On the website, the superintendent thanked specific groups for their help: the Castro Valley Arts Foundation, the Castro Valley Educational Foundation, the Castro Valley Sports Foundation, the Music Parents Society, Save Our Schools Castro Valley!, School PTAs, Parent Clubs, and Boosters.

Here on our Castro Valley High School campus, we have a club called Students Taking Action Against Cuts (STAAC), with members who are making a difference in this unfortunate time. They want to make sure that students are aware of the budget cuts, since many seem to not realize the effects they have on everyone. Last year, STAAC marched to the district office to talk to the superintendent. STAAC is also working with Justice for Schools, an adult group that is also working for the budget cut cause. During club day, STAAC member Emma Silver told me that the “main plan is to get more people to know what’s going on” with the cuts that are affecting the whole school district, while getting other people to join the club.

Another way to make a difference besides joining STAAC if you’re a student, I would suggest writing letters to people in our state government, such as our state senators and the governor. Anyone can contact Senator Barbara Boxer by going to her website and filling out an email form at boxer.senate.gov, or Senator Dianne Feinstein at feinstein.senate.gov/public. Give a hand to the fundraising participants and donate to the different organizations working for the cause!

Knowing that there is a cute little fourth grader out there who can play basketball for his school team and is learning to play the recorder, and that his older brother in high school can play football and talk to his school counselor whenever he needs help, should be enough of a reason to lend a hand.