CampusNewsSlider

Castro Valley celebrates Black resistance and joy

“I stand on the backs of many women / and I stand proud… / So blessed / to be my ancestor’s child,” expressed April Wakefield-Spikener in her poem “My Ancestor’s Child.” An ode to the Oakland poet’s African American roots: Wakefield-Spikener’s words rang loud and true, uplifting the crowd’s spirits during the CVUSD Black History Month Celebration in the CVHS cafeteria on Feb. 2, 2023. 

Organized and hosted by the African American Parent Advisory Council (AAPAC) and Assistant Principal Dr. Tracy Fields, the event’s theme was “Celebrating Black Resistance.” Full of joy, honoring Black heroes, and delicious food catered by Roderick’s BBQ: a strong sense of community could be felt throughout the night.

Principal Christopher Fortenberry attended to honor his culture and share his heritage with younger generations of students. 

“We hope to celebrate the past, the present, and the hopeful future,” he noted. “We’re here to give honor to the past ancestors and give hope to the kids. Bring them together. Because if you have people, and they don’t know their past or where they come from, they don’t have hope.”

“The goal of tonight is to highlight artists, spoken word, students, and community members who are making a difference,” explained Ezra Tramble, President of the Black Student Union and emcee for the night. Tramble opened the main ceremony and welcomed attendees, who were both of Black descent and community allies.

Forms of tribute were both visual and audible. An array of Black students’ artwork was on display to showcase their talents using multimedia forms. The ceremony kicked off with the Black National Anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” sung acapella by freshman Makayla Gathright. Her song was followed by occasional Black history trivia Kahoots, as well as various poetry and spoken word performances by students from Canyon, Creekside, and CVHS. Of the ten acts: highlights included a moving speech by Creekside student Mehetabel Yoseph and a recitation of the Black Panther Party Pledge by senior Malachi Everett. 

Fortenberry compared the celebration to the prior week’s Lunar New Year Celebration, also held in the cafeteria. “At these kinds of events, you always find a kid where you think: ‘I didn’t know they could sing,’ or ‘I didn’t know they knew how to play that instrument,’ or ‘I didn’t know they knew how to speak and be as poetic as they are,’” he remarked. “You know, you learn something new about a person.”

Guest speaker Wakefield-Spikener roused the crowd with her words of vigor and wisdom. As the owner of a small stationery business—she has spread her poetry, dealing with the Black female experience, both through printed cards and spoken performances. Wakefield-Spikener’s touching poetry concluded the ceremony perfectly: representing the Castro Valley Black community’s solidarity and pride.

“There’s no secret about these tools I use. / It’s butterscotch / It’s peanut butter / It’s chocolate / milk and dark / It’s the way my curves form / and the rhythm of my heart. / It’s all the things that can’t be altered / the things that God placed within. / It’s the undeniable power / Of My Melanin.”