HighlightsSports

Seniors sign college commitments

Balloons, flowers, and camera flashes filled the room as friends, coaches, and family members gathered to witness and celebrate a monumental step of six CVHS seniors. 

On Feb. 1, six CVHS student-athletes officially signed their National Letter of Intent to pursue their respective sport at the collegiate level: Taylor Hodges, soccer, Sonoma State University; Kai Liebowitz, rowing, University of California (UC) San Diego; Natalia Perez, water polo, Orange Coast College; Gaby Schirado, volleyball, Moorpark College; Bella Tavares, softball, University of Texas El Paso; and Kyndal Todd, softball, UC Berkeley. 

Developing from recreational leagues to competitive ranks, growing up, these six students dreamed of continuing their sports post-high school. Now, this dream officially turned into a reality. 

“This is such an incredible feeling,” Perez commented on her commitment. Playing multiple sports growing up, she always had collegiate sports in the back of her mind. “I’ve been wanting to play as an athlete since I was a little girl. That was my dream; to go to the college level and play. And for me to be able to go play water polo is something I could have never imagined.” 

Only starting water polo in her freshman year, Perez’s dedication and development are inspiring to others. With no prior experience or knowledge in the sport, she is a sign that it is never too late to find and pursue your passions.  

While still in high school, many of the students have laid out an educational path they’d like to follow. For Todd, she intends to major in Forensic Science. Liebowitz, who is committed to UC San Diego for rowing, plans to major in public health and later become a doctor. Inspired by her aunt, Schirado hopes to work with animals, pursuing studies in Animal Behaviors and Animal Training and later transferring to a school in the UC system. 

The balance of being a college student and athlete is no easy task, but the seniors remain optimistic about the challenge. “Hopefully I can adapt to the regimen of a college-athlete, because, you know, those workouts are no joke. I want to learn time management better so that I have time to still live and not go crazy in college,” stated Todd.

While a couple of months still lie between now and graduation, the six seniors have much to look forward to post-high school as they prepare to take on sports at the collegiate level. Whether it be in soccer, softball, volleyball, water polo, or rowing, their dedication will forever be remembered in the CVHS community.