NewsSliderVideo

Trojans battle for ASB President

A Trojan battle will commence on March 8 and 9 between juniors Jaylene Cole and Jennifer Mi for the title of ASB president for the 2022-2023 school year.

Recently, The Olympian sat down with the candidates as both made their case for why they should take the school’s top leadership position. Here is what they had to say:

“Don’t Be Mean, Vote for Jaylene”

Cole has been involved with leadership since her 8th grade year at Canyon Middle School, and has continued partaking in its festivities throughout high school.

“When I started leadership in my freshman year,” she said, “I always knew that it was a position [ASB President] that I was interested in running for. I always admired how that position presided over the entire leadership class and represented the entire student body at CVHS.”

In those four years, Cole has built a resume that includes her positions as the freshmen class vice president, sophomore class vice president and ASB secretary.

“Throughout that time, I feel like I’ve gotten a thorough understanding of what that position entails, as well how the leadership class is run,” she said.

Cole also mentioned the inspiration she drew from current ASB President Lauren Green, noting that “sometimes it’s better to take a step back and let other people share their ideas.”

Cole said that everyone “should vote for me because I have the experience, I’m very passionate about this position, and I’m determined to make next year a great one for everyone.”

“Jenni 4 Prez”

Mi also has also been involved with the leadership class, both at Creekside in 8th grade and in all three years at CVHS, on top of being the freshmen and sophomore class treasurer and the ASB School Board Representative, a position that “really opened my eyes to the different ways that our school operated internally, and from that information I’ll be able to successfully make decisions and have the best informed decisions.”

Mi took great inspiration from Green’s Community Closet Project, which provides hygienic products, shoes, and clothing to students.  “This really just shows that to be ASB President you have to be inclusive…that is something I intend to accomplish as well,” she said.

As for what she wants to do if she gets the position of ASB President, Mi expressed the want “to explain the decisions that are being made in the leadership class that might be seen as confusing or controversial,” believing that it will improve connections between the student body and leadership class.

But Mi reassures everyone that no matter what, “both of the ASB President candidates are amazing and whatever the result will be next year will be great.”

2 thoughts on “Trojans battle for ASB President

• Eva Bailey

I think they have both been so involved and have done such good things for the school and community. The election is going to be very close, but I wish them both good luck. Jennifer has done a great job in being inclusive and working directly with the school and Jaylene has lots of influence from past ASB president Lauren Green and has lots of experience working in the school; they are both going to do amazing jobs, no matter who is chosen.

• kaylee

I think this will be a close count because they’ve both been involved since 8th grade. They also both have great experience and I think are both qualified to be ASB President. They have taken notes from our current ASB President, Lauren Green, to make next year as great as possible. They are always so involved in the school and want nothing but the best.