CampusCommunityCOVID-19News

CVUSD pushes Covid testing

As the second semester begins this school year, the omicron variant has caused a huge rise in Covid-19 cases. With the concerns that the new variant brings, CVUSD is taking extra precautions to keep students and staff safe while attending in-person classes. 

Over winter break, there was a significant increase in Covid cases, which also include the new Omicron variant. The Omicron variant is highly transmissible, which creates concerns for the safety of students and staff as they return to school. 

On Dec. 31, 2021, CVUSD handed out free Covid-19 at-home testing kits to students and staff members. Almost 9,000 tests were distributed, along with instructions on how to report a positive test result to the district. 

“The home kits feel really efficient compared to going in person. You don’t have to wait for days at home if you have a Covid scare,” said senior Vincent Xiao. 

Superintendent Parvin Ahmadi highly encouraged getting a Covid test done before returning to school, and staying home if you have any symptoms of the virus or a positive test. Despite changes to the CDC quarantine and isolation guidelines, CVUSD quarantine requirements will stay the same until a change is approved by the Alameda County Department of Public Health. 

“If someone in your household tests positive, any unvaccinated students in the home must also stay home and not attend school,” said Ahmadi. If a student or staff member does test positive or is exposed to someone who tests positive, it is still recommended that they quarantine for 10 days, and monitor their health for any symptoms of the virus. 

CVUSD will also be having a vaccine clinic at the Castro Valley Center For the Arts, on Jan. 6 and Jan. 13 from 2:30-5 p.m., offering the Pfizer vaccine for ages 5-11 and for ages 12+.