COVID-19News

COVID-19 halts holiday plans

As everyone well knows, COVID-19 has changed an infinite number of plans over the course of the year. This includes many families’ plans for this holiday season.

Much consideration has been made by families and students on how to stay safe while still enjoying this time of year. Some families have decided to social distance and still gather, while others are not visiting with family or friends at all.

“I feel a little sad and disappointed that I won’t be able to go and visit my grandparents but it’s better so that they won’t get sick,” said senior Jesse Josslin.

A joyous time of year filled with holidays and celebrations has turned disappointing and uncertain for many people as COVID-19 has continued to strike fear into people’s hearts.

Recently California has updated its plans for guidance on private gatherings. These new guidelines require that only three different households can gather at one time. Gatherings must also be held outdoors and there needs to be a sanitizing station in place for all the attendees. Of course a face mask must be worn as well and physical exertion is extremely discouraged. Gatherings should be less than two hours as well.

“That’s not going to work because it’s really cold,” responded Elizabeth Barajas, the mother of a freshman at CVHS, to the requirement of gathering outdoors.

These new restrictions have posed many problems, but the state of California is just trying to ensure that people are remaining safe. At the same time, there is a large question of whether or not many people will be following these guidelines. This is even an issue in families.

“I know that some of them really aren’t… obeying precautions in any way, so it might be a little hard to [meet], but I think it will be safe as long as we do our part,” stated freshman Nayeli Barajas.

Different families have different beliefs and precautions that they are taking during COVID-19. Gathering together is a main part of what this holiday season is all about and many families are determined to make it work.

While some families may be trying to follow the standards of social distancing and staying safe, others are avoiding it all together. It can be very difficult to gather with family, especially grandparents who are more at risk. This has led many families to avoid the risk altogether and just not meet in person.

During these holidays many families travel to meet with family in different areas of the United States. But through these trying times, some families will not be making their annual trips to visit.

This is the case with senior Zachary Perry. Usually he and his family travel over the holidays to visit family outside of the state, but due to COVID-19, they are not planning any travel.

“It’s going to be a lot different this year,” said Perry. “Very lowkey, probably not doing anything at all.”

Meeting with family and friends this holiday season will be very different and challenging. It may even be sad and nostalgic at times, but despite these challenges, people are still filled with the hope and joy this season brings and are making the most of these tumultuous times.

3 thoughts on “COVID-19 halts holiday plans

• John Fortenberry

I know it is hard for many to connect with family members that are not living in close proximity to you. I do believe that video chat websites like zoom and google meets have also helped many families connect with others over the holidays.

• Amanda

It’s disappointing that the pandemic restricts what we can do on the holidays. Winter break is a time everyone looks forward to to relax or spend time with friends and family, however with cases on the rise, it’s important to be mindful and follow guidelines. Celebrations will most likely look different, but it’s what you make of it that matters most.

• It is sad that we may not be able to celebrate the holidays like we usually do, I know I miss traveling, but it is the safest option. I already know that a lot of people won’t be following the new guidelines, and covid cases will increase again. There are still a lot of ways to celebrate without risking spreading covid around.