News

Trojans want Clinton, marijuana and death penalty

Sixty-six percent of CVHS students support Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in a school election with more than 600 responses, a whopping margin of 53 points ahead of runner up and Republican candidate Donald Trump, who received 13 percent of the vote.

“This election is like none I have ever seen. I am excited that we have a strong possibility of electing our first ever woman president,” said social studies teacher Sarah Burke.

On the other hand, junior Skyler Bowersmith invoked Trump’s campaign slogan when he said, “Our country needs to go back to its roots of being patriotic, let’s make America great again.”

Coming in third is Green Party candidate Jill Stein with support from 11 percent of respondents, and in fourth is Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson with 8 percent.

Negativity has played a prominent role this election, and few people have nice things to say about the major candidates.

“I feel grossed out by the whole thing,” said history teacher Gerry Cox, articulating a position expressed by many.

“I think that America is in a bad position,” lamented junior Reilly Berberian.

“This election has me speechless,” commented senior Brandon Rose.

“A cactus would be better than Trump as president,” stated senior Mikey Curtis.

“[Hillary] lies about stuff,” claimed senior Spencer Vanderpan, a Trump supporter.

“It’s really interesting from a teaching standpoint because it’s tied to so much emotion and fear… it has gotten the students to pay more attention,” remarked history teacher Kevin Batchelor.

As for the state propositions, CVHS students voted yes on Prop. 51, which would allocate $9 billion to build and improve schools; yes on Prop. 55, which would extend an income tax for high income earners; yes on Prop. 56, which would increase the tobacco tax by $2 per pack; yes on Prop. 58, which would allow additional bilingual classes and give local control on how to teach English learners; no on Prop. 62, which would repeal the death penalty; yes on Prop. 64, which would legalize marijuana; yes on Prop. 66, which would speed up the death penalty; and yes on Prop. 67, which would reduce the use of plastic bags in grocery stores statewide.

The real election takes place on Nov. 8.

“I look forward to the day when our elected and potentially elected officials will talk to each other with the intention of listening to the response they receive,” said English teacher Anne Parris.