Teacher union, school district nearing an agreement

Leaders of the Castro Valley Teachers Association (CVTA) have voted to accept a 5 percent pay raise from the Castro Valley Unified School District on Feb. 4.

Teachers initially requested a 10 percent raise over two years. Many of them packed a school board meeting on Jan. 14 to support that proposal.

Although the union’s leaders voted to accept the 5 percent raise, negotiations are still underway. A second vote of all CVUSD teachers will take place on Feb. 18, and if they accept the offer, the plan must then be approved by the school board.

The district’s current starting salary for a credentialed, full-time teacher is $49,497 and the highest rate is $90,557 per year (to reach that level takes 27 years). A 5 percent pay raise will bring the starting salary to $51,971 and the highest pay to $95,084.

“Because of un-competitive pay and benefits, I have lost too many colleagues,” said Roger Kim, CVHS social studies teacher, to the school board. “For example, if one of our counselors at CVHS left for our superintendent’s former district after more than a decade of service, that counselor’s caseload would be cut almost in half and have significantly less responsibility while earning significantly more money.”

While this seems highly unfair, it should be noted that neither Dublin, Hayward, nor Fremont school districts help pay for their teachers’ medical expenses.With this fact considered, a pay raise is still necessary in order for teachers to properly support themselves, the teachers argue.

“Even when you consider that some of these districts do not contribute to health care benefits, I would still be earning more money for my family doing the same job in any of these surrounding districts. We are not offering competitive compensation,” said CVTA President Alicia Gholami, who teaches at Chabot Elementary School.

Teachers who spoke at the meeting agreed that they loved teaching with CVUSD, and have grown close to their community, students, and fellow teachers. But, switching to work in another district that offers higher pay may be necessary to support their families, they said.

“No one gets into teaching with the purpose of becoming rich, and the rewards that come with teaching extend far beyond our paychecks, but financial stability is certainly a goal for most adults. Many compensation packages for educators in neighboring districts are much greater than in CVUSD, and those educators still have the same opportunities to help kids that we do here,” said Carmelina Frasca, a CVHS social studies teacher.

Having highly qualified, dedicated teachers, with a good attitude towards the place they work, positively affects students and makes a more pleasant learning environment. Unfortunately, CVUSD may not be able to hold on to its teachers. Due to a teacher shortage in California, many teaching jobs are available, so finding a job would not be a problem for many teachers looking to leave for a higher paying district. Students need good teachers to support them and guide them, and teachers need to be able to support themselves financially. Hopefully, negotiations will come to close before Castro Valley has to lose any more valuable teachers.

“Students benefit from teachers who are valued and compensated fairly. Teachers with good morale are good for students. Teachers who worry about their financial future can not best serve the students of Castro Valley,” said Kim.

“I think it is safe to say the entire board is committed to giving our staff an increase. Happy and appreciated employees are better for students,” said school board member Charmaine Banther.

Other school board members declined to comment.

Kim concluded his statement to the board with an ominous yet honest warning: “Every day that passes without a settlement and without competitive compensation is another day that we will lose talented teachers. If this continues much longer, next year, one of the teachers you lose may be me.”