First African American awards night

Photo by Felicianna Marquez

The first ever-annual African American awards night was held in the school cafeteria on May 22. The Black Student Committee (BSC), created this year with the help of Assistant Principal J.C. Farr and teacher Michelle Stephens, worked hard to have the event put together.

The evening started with a speech given by Principal Mary Ann Valles honoring all of those who worked to put the event together and thanked everyone who participated. Twenty students involved in the BSC succeeded to get everything needed in place and 140 students were recognized for their hard work. To be honored, students had to earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 on the first semester report card.

“I am very proud of what the BSC was able to accomplish and what we will accomplish, said junior Alyah Thomas. “I hope to leave a legacy for the future African American students and uphold the face of this inspiring club. I want to be able to make a difference.”

Thomas, along with juniors Denia Nelson, Rojae Miller, Omi Richardson and Jaelen Loche, the heads of the BSC club at the high school, presented the speakers of the night. The event continued with the Black National Anthem sung by junior Kayla Cunningham and was followed by the winner of the poetry slam junior maya Jenkins, who presented her poem about fighting stereotypes about all people and learning to love yourself and those around you.

The night was full of speeches of accomplishment and the hope to continue to promote the program. Plans for next year’s African American awards night are being planned and the BSC is hoping for a bigger and better outcome.