CampusCommunityNews

CVTA elects Green new president

Social studies teacher John Green will be become the Castro Valley Teachers Association’s next president. After teaching at CVHS and being a member of the CVTA for five years, he is happy and ready to fulfill the responsibilities of the president.
The CVTA is a union for all 425 Castro Valley teachers, nurses and counselors. The main purpose of the teachers association is to support the teachers, negotiate contracts and more. 

“Unions are a great thing for all working Americans. I want to contribute as much as I can to Castro Valley and better the lives of our teachers,” said Green.

Green’s main responsibilities as president will be to represent the teachers, organize and empower teachers and also to act as a spokesperson for them. In addition, all complaints or concerns from teachers and all negotiations of school contracts between the district and teachers from teachers will all be dealt with by him.

His personal goals for the upcoming year will be to work with other unions to solve the budget crisis and to improve the living and working standards of teachers.

“A teacher’s working conditions directly affect a student’s learning environment, so I want to prevent any roadblocks that can keep teachers from helping our students,” said Green.

“It is very humbling to have been chosen by my co-workers and the current CVTA president and teacher Barbara Siegel has left big shoes to fill,” said Green. Due to the high amount of work required by the union, he will only be able to teach one class next year.