CampusCommunityFeatureHighlights

Black History Month celebrated

The CVHS Black Student Union (BSU) hosted a community celebration for Black History Month on Feb. 15, honoring the achievements and contributions of African Americans in the arts.

“This year’s Black History Month Celebration and Black History Month in general wouldn’t mean anything without us all coming together to celebrate Black history, culture, and excellence,” reflected BSU President Diego De La Rosa.

The celebration began with Lift Every Voice and Sing, known as the Black national anthem, and included a wide dinner spread for attendees to enjoy as the diverse talents of African American students in the community were put on display.

Live performances of the night included showcases of original poems and music related to Black identity and culture, as well as exciting dances by CVHS students and Canyon Middle School’s Black Student Union.

Young artists’ work was also displayed in a special art gallery made of paintings, ceramics, photography, and even an interactive robot that audience members could run through a maze. 

“Black History Month to me means coming together to commemorate the achievements of Black excellence in the past, present, and future,” shared Naomi Melak, mistress of ceremonies for the celebration and BSU vice president. “It’s about celebrating the positive impact and contributions that we’ve given and a documentation of sorts of what we’re capable of accomplishing, no matter the hardships.”

Black excellence throughout history was especially highlighted by guest speaker Tyson Amir, accomplished community organizer and author of Black Boy Poems, which uses spoken word to convey the harsh realities of the black experience in America.

Showing community attendees the sheer prevalence of African Americans within music and the arts, Amir discussed how Black contributions shaped industries like music, while also retaining traditional themes and cultural stems.

Ending the night, principal Christopher Fortenberry praised all student presenters. “Tonight, I saw kids being humble and showing their talent, and it was so wonderful to see. They have skill in and out of the classroom,” he said.

To learn more about black excellence and achievements, De La Rosa urges everyone to join BSU. “Our BSU is constantly evolving and improving. Each week the BSU meetings become a place of authenticity and genuine discussion,” he said.