SliderSports

Girls wrestling wins league championship

The CVHS girls wrestling team emerged victorious in the league championships on Feb. 10. The team competed against Hayward, Berkeley, Arroyo, Alameda, and San Leandro.

The Trojans dominated the competition with seven wrestlers in first place, two wrestlers in second place, and one wrestler in fourth.

Coach Sabrina Ross thought that junior Maya Trujillo’s work ethic made her stand out as an athlete. 

“Maya Trujillo is the 105 North Coast Section champion. Trujillo is a definition of hard work, pays off. She worked extremely hard toward her goals and trained to the best of her abilities to win WACC league champions and North Coast Section Championship. Trujillo was voted as Western Alameda County Conference Female Wrestler of the Year,” said Ross.

Junior Michaella Bazan placed second. “I felt good about my performance, but I know that there are always things I can improve on and my matches reflect that,” said Bazan. “I plan on improving for future matches by going over my past matches with my coaches to go over what I did well and where I can improve and continue to drill moves that work well for me and that I enjoy doing.”

Junior Taryn Pak placed second behind fellow teammate Gianna Colon. One of Pak’s favorite moments in the match was, “I hit one of my favorite moves, the blast double,” said Pak. 

“Taryn Pak is the best technical with the biggest heart. Pak will never give up and strive for greatness. Next season will show how much Pak and Trujillo will reach their goals during their senior year,” added Ross.

Pak’s team helped each other throughout the day. “The team motivated each other throughout the whole day, picking each other up after a loss or cheering them on when they were winning,” said Pak.

Bazan agrees with Pak about the constant support received by their teammates. “My team has helped prepare me for my matches by supporting me no matter if I win or lose a match because we all know how hard we work and that does not go unrecognized no matter a match’s results,” said Bazan.