Asian culture clubs ring in Lunar New Year

Junior Xilong Sin and senior Tiffany Liu played the erhu and guzheng respectively, both traditional instruments, delivering fast-paced and magnificent tunes. Lanterns adorned the CVHS cafeteria, while games and cultural food pleased the audience. 

CVHS held its second annual Lunar New Year event on Feb. 12, as Asian culture clubs from all over campus took over the cafeteria. 

Senior Lucas Chang was one of the many students enraptured by the performances. 

“I thought the presentations were really cool,” said Chang. “I also really liked the instruments they played; you don’t really see those traditional types of instruments played very often.”

Cultural food, including fried rice and chow mein, was provided. Each cultural club held a different game or fundraiser. For example, the Chinese Culture Club showed students how to do Chinese calligraphy and the Japanese Culture Club sold lucky charms.

“I liked playing the ddakji game at the Korean culture table,” reflected senior Sidney Ho. “The boba being given away by the Asian American Culture Club was really good too.”

This year’s event was notable for introducing Korean and Filipino cultures to the event. With it being a relatively new annual event at CVHS, the students hope to keep building onto what they already have.

“I really enjoyed seeing people able to experience Lunar New Year customs from other countries and I hope to see us keep expanding in the future,” said junior Ryan Yang.

One thought on “Asian culture clubs ring in Lunar New Year

• It’s cool to hear that the event was popular and I hope it will continue to grow even more in the years to come.